• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gearbox swap

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody out there know if a gearbox out of an 85 cherokee will work in a 96 cherokee? I don't think there is any differences but I haven't taken it apart yet to see. Thanks.

Kim

What sort?

The AX-4/AX-5 was, I believe, used all the way up behind the four-cylinder. I'm not sure what manual was used behind the Renault Diesel.

The A904/A999 will probably work in a 1996, but you're likely to get assorted transmission codes - the AW4 is electronically controlled, the A904/A999 are not. (They're lockup versions of the venerable A727.)

The AX-15 wasn't used until later - the AMC242 didn't exist in 1985. When it was released in 1987, it came with the thrice-damned Peugeot BA-10/5 (woefully optomistic to put that thing behind the AMC242...) and it was replaced with the Aisin AX-15 in mid-1989. I'm not sure what manual, if any, came behind the GM173 V6, but the AMC150 I4 was a superior engine all around, made about as much power (and slightly more torque, I think) and didn't leak so damn bad.

However, as you can probably see now, your question is too open-ended to answer directly. At least now you know why...

Back