• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch behind front crossmember?

lapisxj

NAXJA Forum User
There is a lot of room behind the front crossmember of our 96 XJ and I'm wanting to squeeze a winch back there. Has anybody done this? If so post up! I've read some of the threads on the factory style mount that puts the winch between the crossmember and the bumper but since I already have a custom bumper, I don't want to go that route.

Last night I pulled my custom bumper off and removed the steering box. I also lifted the mechanical fan shroud up to get a bit more clearance. The winch I have will fit back there so that has been answered but now I've got to make the mount work. The winch I have is a warn m6000. I know it isn't ideal but it is about the same dimensions as as the m8000 or even the xd9000. I can always upgrade later, the reason I'm using this one is cause the price is right.

Pict of my current setup.
IMG_3860-800.jpg

I tried to get mine back there, but it didn't seem like it would fit. I have a Warn M8000, which I think is the same dimensions as an M6000. Close, but not quite. The fan shroud is in the way for one thing, but it looks like you're trimming yours....hope it's enough. The winch won't fit in the current mounting holes that are in the front crossmember because the steering box is in the way, so the mounting holes will have to be moved over an inch or so which would put them into a gap in the crossmember. This might not be too big a deal since the crossmember would need to be plated with 1/4" to be strong enough to hold the winch, so new holes could be drilled.

One other concern I had/have is that with the winch right next to the harmonic balancer, there is potential for a loose wrap of winch cable to interfere with the spinning crankshaft. That might not be pretty if it happended.

If it's been done, it'd be nice to see some pics.

WOuldn't it be a lot simpler to do what Wil Badger did and go with the received mounted winch plate? That way you could move it to the front or rear when needed. ;)

Mike G did this...maybe he'll pipe up some pics

100_0971.jpg

100_0970.jpg

I had a bumper made thats set the winch(m8000) back little. I cut the bottom of that sheet metal behind the bumper. it isn't too close to the balancer, and the bumper only sticks out 4 1/2 inches

I just got through stuffing a Ramsey 8.5 in the location you would like: between the frame rails. It was a snug fit but I was able to retain my stock bumber in its stock location. Ended up to be a rather simple installation. I have 1 picture, but not sure how to post.

Did you guys know that Jeep had an option for a front mounted winch on the XJ in the early years that actaully fed through the stock bumper and was mounted below the radiator?

I think the solution is to simply cut the front crossmember. The winch tray will more than make up for any rigidity that is lost when cutting the thin metal crossmember.

Markos said:
I think the solution is to simply cut the front crossmember. The winch tray will more than make up for any rigidity that is lost when cutting the thin metal crossmember.

Easier said than done.

I'm not saying it's not possible, in fact it's highly possible. I'm just saying that it's not as simple as tossing some metal at it and throwing some slag from an HF 120V welder. I've known at least one individual that did that and ended up with some big frame damage up there.

It can be done but it must be done right.

Sequoia

I considered these ideas since I have just recently turned my non-winch bumper into a winch bumper. I ended up just tucking it as far in as possible (right up against the front crossmember. The winch is recessed into the lower part of the grill. Anyway, if I was going to do what you are considering, I would cut out the stock crossmember and build a new one with 1/4" thick angle.

My project is complete, but I'm in the process of doing a huge write-up on it. The write-up is about half-way done and I expect to have it ready tomorrow night or Saturday. I'll post a link...

old_man said:
Did you guys know that Jeep had an option for a front mounted winch on the XJ in the early years that actaully fed through the stock bumper and was mounted below the radiator?

Yes Tom, but the "stock" bumper had mounts that pushed it out about an inch. Plus they used a special Ramsey winch with clocked mounting points. Ramsey stopped making the winch like 5 or 6 years ago IIRC. I used to own the warn hidden winch kit they made for the XJ. Can't even remember who I sold it to now. Was pretty much the same thing.

Originally posted by GSequoia:
Easier said than done.

I'm not saying it's not possible, in fact it's highly possible. I'm just saying that it's not as simple as tossing some metal at it and throwing some slag from an HF 120V welder. I've known at least one individual that did that and ended up with some big frame damage up there.

It can be done but it must be done right.

Sequoia

I don't know, it looks pretty easy to me. I'd probably bolt or tack a temporary bar that spanned the frame rails. Cut the crossmember, add the winch tray and bumper.

Edit: I forgot to mention. A multitude of unibody cars have removable front crossmembers. It's not uncommon to remove the front-end of the car to get the engine out, or access the timing belt, etc...

As such (without the aforementioned bracing):
f98d62fb.jpg

f98d62c7.jpg

REDBULL's Album

Last edited:
No DJ, not true.

I believe Tom is talking about the export winch kit (which they may have sold in the US in the very early years). That tucked a 6000 pound winch in tight and the bumper was not pushed out.

I think I saw one a few years ago driving around in Lawndale, was a two door (a lot of South American export Cherokees were two doors) had a winch hook up front but the bumper was no futher out than OEM. I shouldl've chaced the guy down and bought the Jeep on the spot.

91 Jeep Project said:
Yes Tom, but the "stock" bumper had mounts that pushed it out about an inch. Plus they used a special Ramsey winch with clocked mounting points. Ramsey stopped making the winch like 5 or 6 years ago IIRC. I used to own the warn hidden winch kit they made for the XJ. Can't even remember who I sold it to now. Was pretty much the same thing.

1. According to Warns website the winches I mentioned earlier are all the same overall dimensions.
2. I'm not just going to hack out the front crossmember and the goal here is to fit it behind the crossmember.
3. On first look, the winch will fit and will clear the crank pulley but as someone mentioned earlier it will have to be moved about 3/4" to the pass side as the steering box will be in the way.

Some picts that I took yesterday...

Here is the overall front end...
IMG_4012-800.jpg

Here is the crossmember, you can barely see the winch behind it. It is not anchored down at this point but there are holes that just about line up perfectly...
IMG_4013-800.jpg

Here is my custom (non winch) bumper...
IMG_4020-800.jpg

With the winch bolted to the crossmember here is the clearance...
IMG_4016-800.jpg

From directly below, looking up.
IMG_4017-800.jpg

91 Jeep Project said:

Ditto. The facory tow hook brackets also have two sets of holes to move the bumper forward to make room for a winch. The front crossmember has four holes with the correct spacing to mount a winch, but it would be on the front of the crossmember not behind it.

Here are the pics I have of the factory winch mount. Not my pics but were posted quite a while back on here before.

WarnInstall.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

74_12_sb.jpg

73_12_sb.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg