• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody wanna go to Moab?

SpazMoid said:
About how much do you expect fuel cost to be?

Also how much do you think it would cost for food/lodging or would it be camping?

Since John is taking his time responding I'll pop in with a few answers.....several of us are getting cabins. They sleep 3 and run about $37 a night. John's bringing his enclosed trailer which has quarters and another guy is bringing his truck camper. The rest of us are in cabins. I'm not aware of anyone staying in a tent.

We try to pool our resources for dinner and buy a few salmon, some Tri-Tip, burgers, etc. for dinner and eat out at least one or two nights.

We fend for ourselves the rest of the time but we'll have all the normal camping type cooking available, a BBQ, and we're close to town for getting stuff at the grocery store.

My fuel estimate for this trip is $450 in gas driving the Woody. Diesel and a trailer is not something I want to estimate. John will know better and he'll make those arrangements.

I can assure you that this is a first rate trip and a lot of fun. You'll see territory that is gorgeous, will likely have good weather and everyone gets along really well. You won't be disapointed.

I'd be all over this trip if I wasn't going to be in the middle of a plant maintenance outage. Of course......I'd want to drive my own Jeep, but riding shotgun with John wouldn't exactly suck either!

Megawatt said:
but riding shotgun with John wouldn't exactly suck either!

Getting out and living to tell about it wouldn't be bad either. :angel:

We started at the bottom of the difficulty chart in 2005 and started working our way up to the easier trails/obstacles. Had an absolute blast.

adamusmc2002 said:
Dang man, i might have to see if I can make that happen... it's just a week of school :)

You'll learn more about geology, archaeology, meteorology, physics, geometry and, after a few beers around the campfire, quantum mechanics, than you will learn in the same week of school. :attom:

If you haven't been, it's awe inducing country.

Whats the drive time to get there? I would like to get there sometime in the next year.

WaXJ_Skier said:
Whats the drive time to get there? I would like to get there sometime in the next year.

From the Seattle/Tacoma area it's about 18 hours.

We make a stop in Ogden on the way down for the night and then roll into town midday the next day. The drive in is a lot easier and you have a chance to go run a trail that day. You make the Ogden/Salt Lake/Provo corridor in about 12-14 hours from Seattle. Moab is then about 4-6 hours further at the most.

In 2005 I drove straight home and it was 17.5 hours. I don't recommend it and I won't do it again. It's much nicer taking the time to get some rest.

John90XJ said:
In 2005 I drove straight home and it was 17.5 hours. I don't recommend it and I won't do it again. It's much nicer taking the time to get some rest.

In the Army days I did Oakland to El Paso in 23hrs. Of course at the time I was used to working 24hr shifts, so it wasn't THAT difficult...I would never do it again, however. Sure was weird leaving when the sun was barely coming up...and getting 'home' as the sun was coming up. Back when a guy could get Mini Thins at every truck stop along the way. :wow:

Thats nothing. I bought a 1988 BMW 325ix in Columbus OH, and drove it to Seattle in 21 hours straight. I was picked up once by a Montana stater, No ticket, but he told me to keep it around 100mph. I was doing 130mph.

God I miss my beemer. Blew the motor racing it at SIR

SpazMoid said:
Thats nothing. I bought a 1988 BMW 325ix in Columbus OH, and drove it to Seattle in 21 hours straight. I was picked up once by a Montana stater, No ticket, but he told me to keep it around 100mph. I was doing 130mph.

yeah Monatana law enforcement rocks. They pulled over a friend of mine when she was driving a friends car full of drunk minors. She didn't have her license on her. The cop decided since she had the smarts to take the keys and be a designated driver not to ticket her and didn't give any MIPs.

WaXJ_Skier said:
yeah Monatana law enforcement rocks. They pulled over a friend of mine when she was driving a friends car full of drunk minors. She didn't have her license on her. The cop decided since she had the smarts to take the keys and be a designated driver not to ticket her and didn't give any MIPs.

11397374_chicken_dinner.jpg

SpazMoid said:

Thats impressive, In order to do that you would have had to drive the 2455 miles from Columbus to Seattle at an average speed of 116 MPH through, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Washington. Whats not impressive is the fact the motor blew. My 87 325is spun at about 6000rpm at 115mph, It struggled to hit 130 and when it did it was somewhere around 6500rpm. That was in a lighter car with a DINAN chip bumping the rev limiter to 6950.

Blkxjkrawler said:
Thats impressive, In order to do that you would have had to drive the 2455 miles from Columbus to Seattle at an average speed of 116 MPH through, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Washington.

HAHAHAHA, called him on that one!

Back