• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard Lift Coils?

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have a new XJ I'm building for a 5" lift.
I am using S10 rear packs.

What all options do I have coil-wise for the front end if I was junkyard shopping?

The ones I know of:
ZJ V8 Coils = ~1" of lift
79 Ford Coils = ~3" of lift
???? What others & what lift do they give?

Will 79 ford coils really work? I've never herd that, but I might have to look into it. Depending on the zj coils you can anywhere from 1"-2" of lift, it all depends on if they came out of a v8 zj and how much abuse the coils took when they were still under the zj. I got 2" out of my zj coils but if you are going for 5" of lift find some different coils.

I just put F150 coils in an XJ with a 2" spacer, we put S10 leaves in the rear; it netted an even 5" lift & got around the trails great. This was my father-in-law's XJ, I am building a new XJ for me now. No idea on the year or anything on the S10 leaves, I have 2 more sets in my driveway & they look very different from each other though. I think the older (80s) S10s had more arch & 4 leaves where newer leaf packs have 3 leaves & less arch, but thicker leaves.

My brother in law were just talking about this. Am I correct in assuming that the front coils are just retained by the weight of the XJ? Also what if said coils are 4" superlift coils for a 84 Bronco? The lift amount would be greater on an XJ, right? Not to hi jack the tread but no-one ever responded to the last post.

Thx Ron

CHUGLYxj said:
If the stock coils give 3-4" of lift wouldn't the 4" lift coils for the Bronc give 7-8"???

Seems right, I just read the whole post through. :banghead:

Well, that's too much for me. They were free though so maybe........

jfiscus said:
I just put F150 coils in an XJ with a 2" spacer, we put S10 leaves in the rear; it netted an even 5" lift & got around the trails great. This was my father-in-law's XJ, I am building a new XJ for me now. No idea on the year or anything on the S10 leaves, I have 2 more sets in my driveway & they look very different from each other though. I think the older (80s) S10s had more arch & 4 leaves where newer leaf packs have 3 leaves & less arch, but thicker leaves.
When you said you put S10 leaves on there, did you mean the bastard lift of just put the leafs on there?

CHUGLYxj said:
how was the ride on road with the F-150 coils? It has been said that the heaver truck coils net a rough ride.

I've been running F-150 coils on mine for about two years. The ride is pretty rough but you get used to it :)

bronco coils give 4.5"
78-79 ford f150s give 5.5 to 6

The ride is rough with stock shocks likes to bounce but still flexes up good
a nice set of shocks could help that

i have the f150 coils wanna buy um?

Are you talking about EB coils by chance?

springlineup.jpg

Above is a line up of coil springs for the XJ. From left to right we have:
F-150
Stock XJ
T Bird V-6 Turbo
T Bird V-6
In the foreground is the adapter plate needed to fit the T-Bird spring to the upper spring mount.

Notice that the F-150 coil is a lot shorter and has a much larger wire diameter than the stock XJ coil, this should tell you something about flex, stiffness.

Of the group I like the V-6 T-Bird spring the most.

John

if you get enought coil isolators you could get enough to make a 2" lift or so

The WJ style Grands use a spacer on top of the coils that is around 1-11/4" thick. I snagged apair from the local yard today.

nosigma said:
springlineup.jpg

Above is a line up of coil springs for the XJ. From left to right we have:
F-150
Stock XJ
T Bird V-6 Turbo
T Bird V-6
In the foreground is the adapter plate needed to fit the T-Bird spring to the upper spring mount.

Notice that the F-150 coil is a lot shorter and has a much larger wire diameter than the stock XJ coil, this should tell you something about flex, stiffness.

Of the group I like the V-6 T-Bird spring the most.

John

What year T-bird do I need to look for in the JY. Ford truck coils are all but extinct around here, everyone restores those 78/79 broncs/trucks around here. I would have more luck finding the T-bird coils.

Newer T-bird coil springs the ones that are a strut assembly. I am using tis setup in my Comanche and it works great. I also used the top of the strut and inlarged the hole to fit over the bumpstop shaft. Ride quality is the same as my stock Comanche springs.

Comanche Devil said:
Newer T-bird coil springs the ones that are a strut assembly. I am using tis setup in my Comanche and it works great. I also used the top of the strut and inlarged the hole to fit over the bumpstop shaft. Ride quality is the same as my stock Comanche springs.

So we are talking about those ugly bug eyed looking convertable birds that ford last produced? Or the 2 door hardtop models from the 90's?

Back