• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Adjustment

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is going to sound like an odd issue, but I was hoping someone might have an idea of where to look.

I have an 89 xj with 4.0 and Aw4. It is trailered and rarely driven on the road but I have recently had several issues with it not shifting into reverse when it is cold (it is becoming quite a pain when I move it in or out of the garage).

Once it gets warm and has been driven around a while it never seem to have an issue, but after it has sat and cooled down, it wont shift into reverse?

I have searched and am not aware of any adjustments in the linkage, Does anyone have any other ideas?

The fluid is good, fresh and full.

Thanks,
Michael

2xtreme said:
I know this is going to sound like an odd issue, but I was hoping someone might have an idea of where to look.

I have an 89 xj with 4.0 and Aw4. It is trailered and rarely driven on the road but I have recently had several issues with it not shifting into reverse when it is cold (it is becoming quite a pain when I move it in or out of the garage).

Once it gets warm and has been driven around a while it never seem to have an issue, but after it has sat and cooled down, it wont shift into reverse?

I have searched and am not aware of any adjustments in the linkage, Does anyone have any other ideas?

The fluid is good, fresh and full.

Thanks,
Michael

I was told that replacing a quart of trans fluid with Lucas trans additive would solve the problem.

I have the same problem, but mine is at 45 F and below and is the forward drive gear or torque converter. If I warm the engine up for 5 to minutes, depending on how cold it is outside I have no problem. At %0 F and higher it always works. I am thinking it has some sticky cold temerature activated varnish like stuff on one of the electric solenoids that is making it hang up until the fluid gets warmer and thus reduces the viscosity of the stuff that is gumming up the solenoid enough to for it to shift.

I plan on trying the Lucas next winter, or sooner if it gets more tempermental at warmer temperatures.

I will see if I can get the Lucas Additive and I guess I will try it (Since I have had several british cars in the past, I am not sure I really want to knowingly add a Lucas product :)

Am I the only one with this issue?

Any other alternatives? What about installing a manual shift kit like this: www.awshifting.com

Michael

I've had exactly that problem for some time. I started parking in reverse so the next day I would just drive off without using reverse.

Driving forward for some distance usually makes it go into reverse effortless, and once it engages once I can shift into R just fine.

Problem comes back after more than an hour parked.

I'm still testing it but I've done 2 things to improve (hopefully eliminate) the problem.

1. Properly adjust the TV Cable (Actually adjusts the Pressure on the AW4). To do this you push the large D button and retract the cable, then step in the car and push the accelerator to the floor. You will hear a few loud clicks as the cable adjusts. Mine was a bit loose (To far out).

2. I'm draining out all the ATF +3 the dealer sold me when I last changed the Fluid. The ATF +3 is the wrong ATF for the AW4 as it is a Toyota Trans and NOT a Chrysler. It should use DII or DIII.

This takes a lot of fluid (unless you get a trans flush) as even raising the front of the XJ I've only got 4qts out at a time. The idea is to go replacing a percentage of the old fluid.

After doing it twice (8 qts) I got better. Last night I changed it a third time, and will be testing it. I’ve estimated I got about 70% new DIII in.

Can't be sure yet if the problem is resolved. Regardless having that ATF +3 instead of the Dextron couldn't have help. Serching on the internet shows some people with AW4's that have used the ATF +3 or +4 without problems and others have nothing but problems. Lets see how it goes.

Patrick

Back