• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing tranny line fittings

Combatcm

NAXJA Forum User
fitting.jpg

How does this fitting disconnect from the tranny lines? I'm trying to put a cooler in and it would be great if the rubber line could come out so I could put the new one in.

thanks

Are you talking abou the coupling going in/out radiator? If so, tangs need to be pinched in such a way so that they can pass out of the housing while pulling on the hose.

1st time I made a simple tool from heavy plastic with cutout to fit and depress tangs. Later, I learned how to do it with my fingers or sometimes needlenose pliers if careful.

FWIW - remember that transmissions don't like to be too cool either and the OEM radiator cooler actually helps warm ATF. Thermostat controlled external cooler is the only thing I would use and if driven in cold climate I would leave the connection to the radiator cooler/wamer - however you wanna look at it...

if you're doing an in-line install, just cut the rubber tranny hose where you need it, use a barbed coupler/some clamps, and run the new hose to the cooler

If you are talking about the metal line that turnes into the rubber. I just cut the metal line with a minie pipe cuter then I slid on 5/16 tranny line then a clamp an you good to go.

there are some plastice fuel line disconnects that you can get from autozone that work OK. I got mine off with them and some PB blaster but I was a sears the other day and they had some nicer fuel line discoes that will let you get a better grip and some leverage to get it separeted. This is the ones I saw and they looked good n person

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...Automotive+Specialty+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Thanks for the help, I was going to disconnect the lower radiator line to install the inline cooler, but I just cut the metal line instead and then ran it to the cooler.

I still took out the airbox to check the fitting and it I couldn't see the 2 ears that you have to press to remove it.

Do some come without the ears?

All of my XJ's have leaked around those fittings. I always cut the hard lines and run 3/8 rubber hose from the near the oil pan to the radiator. You can get the fittings at Home Depot or Lowes which screw into the rad so the rubber lines will fit correctly.

Combatcm said:
Thanks for the help, I was going to disconnect the lower radiator line to install the inline cooler, but I just cut the metal line instead and then ran it to the cooler.

I still took out the airbox to check the fitting and it I couldn't see the 2 ears that you have to press to remove it.

Do some come without the ears?

Since they're recessed in the housing, it's kinda hard to see clearly. 1st time you pop one apart you'll understand completely.

Back