• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 gear ratios

TNT

Seasoned Veteran
Here's a heads up for those that don't know... 4.88's

Superior's Ring & Pinion Sets are manufactured to the highest quality standards Superior is a direct supplier to major automakers like Ford and General Motors. Their confidence of quality allows them to offer the longest warrant in the industry - 2 full years! They offer all of the most popular ratios to meet the needs of just about every owner. And now you are no longer limited to the 4.56 gear ratio. Introdcuing Superior's 4.88 Ring and Pinion Sets. The additional 7% torque multiplication roughly makes up the difference from "33 tires to 35" tires. If you run the bigger tires, you'll want these gears in your Jeep!

http://www.savannajones.com/product...=Ring+&+Pinion+Sets&c=5&pn=52419+9xx&h=&spg=t

Last edited:
Interesting. If those were available two years ago I might still run one.

Go figure, I just bought my XJ 44 tonight so I could have 4.88's and come home and read this... ain't that funny. Oh well, my 44 already has 4.88's installed and a spool and all for $400 so I guess I can't complain. :D

Morty'sXJ said:
Go figure, I just bought my XJ 44 tonight so I could have 4.88's and come home and read this... ain't that funny. Oh well, my 44 already has 4.88's installed and a spool and all for $400 so I guess I can't complain. :D

Well truss that baby up and have some fun...

Nice words, but go to the link, they aren't available in 4.88s from that supplier. Their choices only go to 4.56 :(

cwstnsko said:
Nice words, but go to the link, they aren't available in 4.88s from that supplier. Their choices only go to 4.56 :(

Read it again, third one down... especially the part about "Introducing 4.88's"... It's not in the drop-down menu when you click on that link, but they're brand new so I'm betting they wouldn't be introducing them if they weren't selling them.

In much the same way that Aussie Locker is "introducing" the Aussie Locker for the 8.25....... for how many years now? I look forward to being wrong, but for now, it doesn't appear to be real...... yet?

I may have to give them a call in the morning. JIM.

cwstnsko said:
In much the same way that Aussie Locker is "introducing" the Aussie Locker for the 8.25....... for how many years now? I look forward to being wrong, but for now, it doesn't appear to be real...... yet?
yea, I agree, been sending emails for almost 3 years now with the some response

ILLXJ said:
I may have to give them a call in the morning. JIM.

I called the number listed on their site...

Disconnected. It recommends a new number and it's for "Todd's fitness center."

Whatever.

Has anyone been able to contact Superior? I called the number from the superior site, but their closed today (Sunday). It's 888-522-AXLE (2953)
I also sent an email, but yet to hear back.

I just called Superior.

It's a hoax, again.

They have no 4.88s at this time, but are looking into it. If it happens, it won't happen in 2007.

just went to the site and it states that they are now available, but it's not listed as one of the ratios to select...

cal said:
Interesting. If those were available two years ago I might still run one.

yeah, me too

but a dana 44 was a better build,
-and some guy was lucky to swap in my old 29 spline 8.25 for a his old turdy-5

Dirk Pitt said:
I just called Superior.

It's a hoax, again.

They have no 4.88s at this time, but are looking into it. If it happens, it won't happen in 2007.

Ah, so you were the other guy who called. ;)

Just got off the phone with 'em, too. :D

Darn! :banghead:

Let me start this by saying I know nothing about setting up gears, but I though I read somewhere that in order to put 4.56s in a 8.25 you have to trim something. I don't remember what, but does that mean you'll have to trim even more of what ever that is for 4.88s?

And why are the gears different sizes? I thought the ratio was determined by the pinion & ring gears' teeth count.

splitz said:
Let me start this by saying I know nothing about setting up gears, but I though I read somewhere that in order to put 4.56s in a 8.25 you have to trim something. I don't remember what, but does that mean you'll have to trim even more of what ever that is for 4.88s?

And why are the gears different sizes? I thought the ratio was determined by the pinion & ring gears' teeth count.
shave either a few teeth, or the cross shaft due to the thickness of the ring gear, the deeper the ratio, the smaller the head of the pinion, the thicker the ring gear, which interferes with access to the guts of the carrier

Back