• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gap in tranny near rear main

Combatcm

NAXJA Forum User
leak.jpg

I just found out the rear main is leaking. While I was down there I saw this gap in the sheet metal that is bolted to the front of the tranny. Is this bad?

It's not really an issue. The sheet metal is just a cover for the inspection hole/access to the TC bolts. Some folks ditch it entirely, but I wouldn't. If it bothers you, just tap it down with a hammer. Tap though, don't wail on it.

:)

I was leaking in the same place and thought it was the rear main seal as well but it turned out it was the valve cover (on the side that is against the firewall) that was leaking and running down the motor and making it look like the main seal. Also was told that, that is pretty common on jeeps....:dunno:
Combatcm said:
leak.jpg

I just found out the rear main is leaking. While I was down there I saw this gap in the sheet metal that is bolted to the front of the tranny. Is this bad?

Thanks for the heads up, yeah I think it is the rear valve gasket, put my hand back there, lots of oil.

That 'gap' is actually to allow any fluids that get into the bellhousing to drain out.

It's there for a reason.

Back