• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xtreme Mud Terrain?

Forget MTRs for mud - they're horrible in it. I've got some Maxxis Bighorns and love them. They're way better than my old BFG MTs. The Bighorns have a similar tread as the MTRs but with larger voids for better self-cleaning.

Also, you're in Rock Hill? Me too. Small world. :D

York County born.

I agree, bighorns are the way to go

Yep from the big Rock Thrill..............I've Been out of the Jeep loop for a couple of years...............Just pulled it out of the garage a few weeks ago and ready to start putting money into it again. I don't drive it but about 20-25 miles a week now and i do absolutely no mudding!!!! gave that up years ago when I sold my Toyota. Most of my wheeling is at Uwharrie so MTR's would be OK but the buy three get one free from Pro Comp is a deal. There is just not enough feedback on the Xtreme M/T.

XJ-1 said:
Yep from the big Rock Thrill..............I've Been out of the Jeep loop for a couple of years...............Just pulled it out of the garage a few weeks ago and ready to start putting money into it again. I don't drive it but about 20-25 miles a week now and i do absolutely no mudding!!!! gave that up years ago when I sold my Toyota. Most of my wheeling is at Uwharrie so MTR's would be OK but the buy three get one free from Pro Comp is a deal. There is just not enough feedback on the Xtreme M/T.
From what I've seen, the MTRs do alright at Uwharrie as long as there is no water or mud near anything. I still think you'd be better of with some type of mud terrain. If you're buying the ProComps for the 3-for-1 deal then go for it. Check the specs out and weigh your options. They don't look half bad to me.

On a side note - we have a local group of guys who are going up to Uwharrie the 5th & 6th to wheel and camp. If you're interested PM me. We're always looking for new people.

micket thompson baja MTZ

petersons just did a mud tire testing, i think the procomps got excellent reviews

MTR's?

The guy is asking about Pro-Comps X-Terrains...

NOT Goodyear MT/R's...

Focus people focus...

:D

btw... Had both... no complaints other than the MTR's sucked in the rain.

XJ-1 said:
Looking to put a new pair of shoes on my XJ. Anyone with any input on the new Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrains? I've always had Super Swampers, but I'm looking to change to a MTR, or maybe these new tires http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Pro-Comp-Xtreme-MT.htm

Go buy the new issue of Peterson's 4Wheel and Offroad.
They just reviewed a set of these PC xtreme M T s along with some other mud tires. I thought it was a pretty good article as I never would have considered procomps before, but I think I might like these.

at least for my fiance's mainly street driven XJ :D
I might like something with a bit more tread meatiness and I've always liked BFG's. but I am going to try something different next time around. just don't know what yet

Last edited:
he's not asking about Xterrain he's asking about procomps new xtreme mud terrain. I got mine on order they look like a great tire and I couldn't pass up the 4 for 3 deal.
xtreme-mud-logo.gif

xtreme-mud.gif

jp mag did a review on the tires and said their "good" all around tires. Nothing really stood out about them though. Much better then the MTZ though. I finally saw an MTZ up close and its similar to a BFG A/T KO in width between lugs. Not something I'd like as I see people in my area running A/T KO's and their like slicks. Im still stickin to the LTB's.

I have the Pro Comp X Terrains

They have about 16k on them they have plenty of teard left

Thats About all I can say about them

Good Luck

I have wheeled with some friends that have the MTZs, one with 33s one with 35s. They clean very well, at one point on a muddy trail we stopped to talk and most of his tread was clean where my BFG MTs were total mud slicks. The MTZs are also not equiped with flimsy sidewalls like my BFGs.

Back