• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Selectable Snorkel (PICTURES SAY 1000 WORDS)

HaZakated

NAXJA Forum User
HI! I'm HaZakated. What do you think? I try not to much more than needed. By the grace of god, I am what I am ("narrow is the path").

I'm going to build shrouds for the filters and thats it.

Pictures say it all, so here they are.

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

GOODBYE...I will be back over the summer. XJ's RULE!!!!

IMG_1486.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what makes this "Advanced Fab", but anyway....

Why bother with two filters? Why not just have one under the hood? Use some kind of removable or able to be opened enclosure. When the enclosure is on or closed it's only drawing air through the snorkel, when you pull it off or open it it draws air through both (similar to guys who do a homebrew snorkel out of the stock air box and make a removable cover panel for the stock opening). I'd be too worried about ripping that outer filter right off...

nhrocker said:
Not sure what makes this "Advanced Fab", but anyway....

Why bother with two filters? Why not just have one under the hood? Use some kind of removable or able to be opened enclosure. When the enclosure is on or closed it's only drawing air through the snorkel, when you pull it off or open it it draws air through both (similar to guys who do a homebrew snorkel out of the stock air box and make a removable cover panel for the stock opening). I'd be too worried about ripping that outer filter right off...

There is nothing advanced about this...But the design intent is very advanced in my opinion. No leakage...Selectable...$60 to build yourself...
This system is all about fluid mechanics..I guess there is nothing advanced about fluid mechanics (so I hear).

I would have liked to do an inline filter similar to the one shown below; however, the filter I would need costs $90 which would defeat the purpose. I paid about $60 for this entire assembly...How much did you pay for your ARB???..lol..Does your ARB keep the water out in the event of a multiple hour submerged recovery?? Does your ARB keep the rain out??

RC-5052AS.jpg

I can see your concern about it getting ripped off though. I may have to move it inward.

I used to have my snorkel routed into the stock airbox but that silly old thing will never be air tight. I did this so if I was stuck in deep water for an infinite amount of time (theoretically), no water would get into the engine.

Thanks for your posts. I can use all the help I can get (as you can see).

Last edited:
thats pretty cool. if you put the filter under the hood, what goes at the end of the upper intake? there would still have to be SOME kind of a filter? or maybe i am n00bing up this thread.

Bootyfab???? Actually I kind of like the idea. Its nice to see somebody think outside the box. What type of hose did you use?

JeepFreak21 said:
One thing I noticed... the ball valve cuts off the flow to the under-hood filter... but when the ball valve is open, both air sources are open, correct? So, just hope you don't rip the filter off the snorkel portion during a rain storm ;)
Billy

Maybe a second valve is in store.

Then you could close off your intake 100% in the event you run your Jeep off into a deep lake.

Blaine B. said:

Then you could close off your intake 100% in the event you run your Jeep off into a deep lake.

The 2nd valve will be located next to the SCUBA gear and the rack of spearguns.

old_man said:
Bootyfab???? Actually I kind of like the idea. Its nice to see somebody think outside the box. What type of hose did you use?

If you are referring to the hose located on the outside of the Jeep, it is there just for looks. I just slid it over the PVC. I was trying to make it a function of the desgin; however, if I would have done so, I would have been forced to order more (it is expensive).

Here is where you can get some more:
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=199

The hose is very nice stuff. It runs about $5 to $12 a foot though.

Blaine B. said:

I like that idea of a 2nd valve in the upper portion of the outside snorkle...

I don't like the idea of the airflow from the snorkel having to do a u turn to get to the TB. Why not a T? Then the air flow has equal difficulty getting to the TB. I think there is a T that has a radius for both ends that would solve that problem.

Back