• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Research

Silent

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have been reading a bit about front axles, tc, and trans. Please bare with me. If I am wroing in wht I am saying please enlighten me.

Ok, I have 95 4.0L HO, 2wd. I am looking into a possible axle swap. Going from 2wd to 4wd. Now, that said. I was wondering what front axle I should go with. I have been reading a lot and it seems that the dana 30 HP non dico is a good axle. Now, I also read that the transmission I have is an AW4, and that in 91 they went to a 23 spline output shaft. I also read that the NP242 tc has a 23 spline as well. Not too mention ppl seem to think the 242 is a good tc, this also happens to be compatible with my tranny. So, I am figuring that with this info the transmission is good, cept it has a 2wd ouput not 4wd. But, if I got one of them I would be able to put in a np242 and dana 30 hp and new shafts without having to swap tranny. Is this correct or am I missing something? The only thing I am uncertain on is the lights inside, and the vac lines if any are needed. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Silent

Im going to guess a lot of people on here are going to say just go buy a 4wd and keep this as a daily drive, just a guess. But to answer you question, do you plan on going with bigger tires in the future, lockers, regearing, etc.? If you're running stockish tires than a D30 would be fine, but if you wanted to put some 35's on there then go with something bigger like a D44 up front. Try giving searching a shot as well.

Silent said:
Ok, I have been reading a bit about front axles, tc, and trans. Please bare with me. If I am wroing in wht I am saying please enlighten me.

Ok, I have 95 4.0L HO, 2wd. I am looking into a possible axle swap. Going from 2wd to 4wd. Now, that said. I was wondering what front axle I should go with. I have been reading a lot and it seems that the dana 30 HP non dico is a good axle. Now, I also read that the transmission I have is an AW4, and that in 91 they went to a 23 spline output shaft. I also read that the NP242 tc has a 23 spline as well. Not too mention ppl seem to think the 242 is a good tc, this also happens to be compatible with my tranny. So, I am figuring that with this info the transmission is good, cept it has a 2wd ouput not 4wd. But, if I got one of them I would be able to put in a np242 and dana 30 hp and new shafts without having to swap tranny. Is this correct or am I missing something? The only thing I am uncertain on is the lights inside, and the vac lines if any are needed. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Silent

You'll need to get a tranny from a 4x4, or you'll have to change the output shaft in your current tranny to the shorter shaft and shorter tailshaft housing of the 4x4 tranny. With all of the AW4's around, and since you need to buy a t-case anyway, you will very likely be better off just getting another (4x4) tranny. The t-cases are interchangeable between a 231 or a 242, so just get the one you want....or get whatever one you find with a good tranny attached to it. The only reason to go with a 242 is if you want the full time 4x4 capability of the 242, otherwise the 231 is generally considered a better t-case and it has heavier parts available.

You would need vacuum lines only if you used a front axle with a disconnect, since the disconnect uses vacuum to shift. A non-disconnect axle doesn't have any vacuum lines.

Good luck with your project, it's too big a deal to make a 2x4 XJ into a 4x4.

My 96 started it's life as a 2WD. The only reason I bought it was it was super clean and only cost $600 because the engine was blown. I already had everything I needed from my 89 XJ including a 99 engine to convert it over.

If you are serious about converting to 4WD, find a donor that has the parts you need. A wrecked Cherokee or one with a dead engine can be found pretty cheap at times.

Your easiest option is to sell yours and buy a 4WD. Converting mine over was fun, but time consuming.

Back