• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep or Sell?

critik

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. I've been reading these forums for awhile now, and the wealth of information in them has been immensely helpful to me when working on my XJ. I have a question for anyone who wouldn't mind answering. It's mainly a question of opinion, as I'm deciding whether or not I should keep or sell my XJ, based upon some of the problems it's having.

I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport. It's a 4-door, 4.0L, AW4, and 2WD. I bought it in June of 2005, back when I was about to become a senior in high school. I've pretty much been independent ever since I was 16, and I paid for the car myself. The car has had a few problems, and I couldn't exactly afford to pay for a mechanic, so I saved money by looking on NAXJA to find out how to perform the repairs I had to do. I've done a fair amount of work on it, as it's been problematic for most of the time I've owned it. However, these were simply minor problems, in my opinion, and otherwise, the engine has run absolutely great. I left for college last August, and left the car to my mother, so that she could have a car to take to school. Well, my family has historically had serious financial issues, so eventually they ended up having their car repossessed, and they had no other choice but to use mine. I'm a nice guy, and I help out as much as I can, so I said that they could use it as a family car.

The problem with this is that it requires a fair amount of upkeep. There are a lot of leaks that spring out due to worn hoses, etc, that apparently haven't been replaced in awhile. I warned my parents of this, but yet they still continued to drive it. In fact, they put 10,000 miles on the car while performing very minimal maintenance. During this time, there were no oil changes. Also, they ran down the front breaks severely, and damaged the rotors, which had to be replaced. The starter went out during this time, but it was replaced. The battery was also replaced. The transmission started slipping as a result of a leaky cooling hose. The front door is also now sagging severely.

I would normally have had all of these problems fixed myself, as well as the oil changed, etc, but I'm off at school, and am unable to get home to do these things. I understand that my parents are abusing my car, and I've spoken with them about this, and will continue to speak to them about it. When I head home for spring break, I will have a long talk with them about taking care of things. But that's besides the point. I'm just trying to explain the condition of the car. Basically, I need to know whether or not I should sell the car or fix the damage, and which will be the better judgment call. I'm going to need a car for the summer, and I don't have much money (although I do work, and have a large amount of savings). I'm looking for the cheapest route that'll get me reliable transportation.

Here's some more info on the current state of the car, and some of the repairs that I've done to it:

Original Mileage at Purchase: 140,000
Mileage when I left for college last August: 145,000
Mileage now: 158,000

Current Problems
- Oxidixing paint (cosmetic, I really don't care)
- Missing headliner (again, cosmetic, and I don't care)
- Sagging front door
- Leaking transmission hoses (I think...I haven't taken a look at them)
- The transmission has slipped on occasion, when fluid runs low.
- The rear main is leaking. It really hasn't been that bad, so I never worried about it, as it was too much work for me to do at the time.
- There must be a bad grounding somewhere, as the car will (very rarely and very randomly) lose all electrical power.
- The brakes seem to be having problems, although I can't get any details as to why.
- Hasn't had the oil changed in awhile...over 10,000 miles. I'm getting it done as soon as I get back for spring break.

Repaired Problems
- New valve cover gasket
- Heater valve
- New transmission cooling hose (one of them...it goes into the bottom of the radiator)
- New power steering pump and hoses
- New radiator
- New starter
- New battery, cables, and terminals
- New tires
- New serpentine belt
- New headlights

I've put a good amount of work into the car, and while it was in my control, I tried my best to keep it very clean and in good working condition. The moment any problem arose, I had it fixed. I drove it very lightly, unlike most teenagers, and never took it above 2,000rpms on most occasions. But my family just doesn't know how to take car of cars, and my charity to them has really screwed me over. I'm particularly worried about the transmission, as it's slipped a few times (how bad is this, and is it on its way out?).

I normally would just trade it in (how much value would I get?), but I'm not sure that it'd get much, as it's not in great cosmetic condition, nor is it in great mechanical condition. I'm also a college student who has to support himself completely while in school, so I don't have a whole lot of money (roughly $1,500 saved...not enough for a decent car, I don't think) There's been a lot replaced, and I'd like to think there will be an end of the road sometime soon, but I'm not sure. I'm just looking for a good opinion on whether or not this XJ is going to be for me.

I'm not picky about what I drive, or what it looks like. I need something that's going to be reliable in the long run. I also don't mind fixing minor things such as leaks, and replacing small parts. I'd appreciate any advice that anyone can give me. Thank you!

Just booked it out in the business guide I have $2350 (Retail) 1150 (loan/wholesale). Depending on what you actually find when you get home for Spring Break I wouldn't make any final decisions.

If the Clutch is slipping it might just need replacing. First Car I drove was a Toyota P/u with a 4 speed. When the clutch slipped in 2nd-4th we switched it out. It's tedious, but realatively easy if you have the shop manual.

In my humble opinion...Family is Family. But it does sound like an ackward situation. Might be worth it to just sell the XJ to them, for a far price, to wipe your hands of at least some of the stress. Then it would be "theirs" and would be up to them how it was treated.

Do you have another car or live on campus?

My advise is to keep the Jeep and trade in the family!:shiver:

You need to separate the two issues. If you are going to continue letting them run your vehicle (currently the Jeep) into the ground (use it) you might as well keep the Jeep.

If you going to take back the Jeep for your use only, I would still keep the jeep at this point.

Since you are mechanically inclined and can do your own minor repairs you are miles ahead of everyone else.

Even the worst abused brakes are easy and inexpensive to repair yourself.

Transmission hoses are cheap and easy to change. Rear main is a pain to replace, but many here have done it themselves and you can find lots of guidance on how to do it yourself here. The rear seal is probably the hardest part you will have to deal with.

The AW4 transmission has been described by many here as bullet proof, immortal, etc. Chances are it is still OK. Just fix the tranny hose leak, change the fluid and filter and keep on going. If the tranny has been really damaged, they last so long they nearly give them away at the junk yards still in working condition, like for $150. Just find someone nearby with experience to help you swap it out if they have killed it (which I doubt).

Also change that engine oil and filter ASAP. Or, if your family is going to continue driving it (abusing it) have them add a quart of oil every (week?) and let the rear main leak! That way the oil gets changed every 6 weeks!:sunshine: More than one way to skin a cat as they say!

The 4.0's are also known for handling a lot of abuse and lasting well over 300,000 miles, so yours is just barely broken in.

I have an 85 and 87 Jeep both with nearly 250,000 miles on each one. I expect to get another 10 years or more out of them both!

The front door may be an easy fix.

If you trade it in and get another vehicle you will just be buying something someone else has abused and given up on, and there you will be starting from scracth. You have already restored and replaced much of the stuff that wears out at this point. The main expensive parts, body, engine, tranny, drive train, and front end, have a long ways left to go.

Headliners you can do yourself with a good one from a junk yard I here. I had a new installed for just $130.

The new paint job can wait. My 87 is just about ready for its first repaint job, so your probably has a few years to go. Just get to it before it rusts anywhere. Just give a good wax job for now, $8.00. Wax on, Wax off!LOL.

You electrical problem may be the igniton switch, less than $20, and or the wiring/connectors at the fuse box or igniton switch. I just reworked mine. A half day and less than $35 in parts and I think mine is fixed for good (I used larger wires, did some rerouting added a few bypass switches,....etc.).

Main thing you need is NAXJA and a $20 multimeter to track down the bad wiring/switch locations and some time and access to the Jeep.

Last edited:
Any used vehicle is going to need work. At least you know what needs to be done to this and don't have to start over finding problems. It seems to me all the problems can be easily fixed. I say keep it.

yeah man probably keep it. they are good vehicles to work on. parts are not too expensive and for the most part easy to find/ get to and buy. the leaking transmission line can be fixed easily . just cut out the metal tubing a little on each side of the hose(if the leak isnt at a coupling) and slide some fuel line and clamps over it. thats how i fixed my tranmission line leak and i have been quite pleased. if you decode to get rid of the jeep get one of those 3 cylinder geos. theyre good on gas.

sell it to your parents for a grand.

take your 1500 plus their 1000, and buy a nicer XJ with 4wd for 2500. Or, keep that jeep as a parts vehicle, and buy a replacement for 1500. I just found my friend a 91 XJ for 1700, he drives it everyday, and has done normal maintenance on it like you did, rad hoses, tires, etc.

critik said:
Hey everyone. I've been reading these forums for awhile now, and the wealth of information in them has been immensely helpful to me when working on my XJ. I have a question for anyone who wouldn't mind answering. It's mainly a question of opinion, as I'm deciding whether or not I should keep or sell my XJ, based upon some of the problems it's having.

I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport. It's a 4-door, 4.0L, AW4, and 2WD. I bought it in June of 2005, back when I was about to become a senior in high school. I've pretty much been independent ever since I was 16, and I paid for the car myself. The car has had a few problems, and I couldn't exactly afford to pay for a mechanic, so I saved money by looking on NAXJA to find out how to perform the repairs I had to do. I've done a fair amount of work on it, as it's been problematic for most of the time I've owned it. However, these were simply minor problems, in my opinion, and otherwise, the engine has run absolutely great. I left for college last August, and left the car to my mother, so that she could have a car to take to school. Well, my family has historically had serious financial issues, so eventually they ended up having their car repossessed, and they had no other choice but to use mine. I'm a nice guy, and I help out as much as I can, so I said that they could use it as a family car.

The problem with this is that it requires a fair amount of upkeep. There are a lot of leaks that spring out due to worn hoses, etc, that apparently haven't been replaced in awhile. I warned my parents of this, but yet they still continued to drive it. In fact, they put 10,000 miles on the car while performing very minimal maintenance. During this time, there were no oil changes. Also, they ran down the front breaks severely, and damaged the rotors, which had to be replaced. The starter went out during this time, but it was replaced. The battery was also replaced. The transmission started slipping as a result of a leaky cooling hose. The front door is also now sagging severely.

I would normally have had all of these problems fixed myself, as well as the oil changed, etc, but I'm off at school, and am unable to get home to do these things. I understand that my parents are abusing my car, and I've spoken with them about this, and will continue to speak to them about it. When I head home for spring break, I will have a long talk with them about taking care of things. But that's besides the point. I'm just trying to explain the condition of the car. Basically, I need to know whether or not I should sell the car or fix the damage, and which will be the better judgment call. I'm going to need a car for the summer, and I don't have much money (although I do work, and have a large amount of savings). I'm looking for the cheapest route that'll get me reliable transportation.

Here's some more info on the current state of the car, and some of the repairs that I've done to it:

Original Mileage at Purchase: 140,000
Mileage when I left for college last August: 145,000
Mileage now: 158,000

Current Problems
- Oxidixing paint (cosmetic, I really don't care)
- Missing headliner (again, cosmetic, and I don't care)
- Sagging front door
- Leaking transmission hoses (I think...I haven't taken a look at them)
- The transmission has slipped on occasion, when fluid runs low.
- The rear main is leaking. It really hasn't been that bad, so I never worried about it, as it was too much work for me to do at the time.
- There must be a bad grounding somewhere, as the car will (very rarely and very randomly) lose all electrical power.
- The brakes seem to be having problems, although I can't get any details as to why.
- Hasn't had the oil changed in awhile...over 10,000 miles. I'm getting it done as soon as I get back for spring break.

Repaired Problems
- New valve cover gasket
- Heater valve
- New transmission cooling hose (one of them...it goes into the bottom of the radiator)
- New power steering pump and hoses
- New radiator
- New starter
- New battery, cables, and terminals
- New tires
- New serpentine belt
- New headlights

I've put a good amount of work into the car, and while it was in my control, I tried my best to keep it very clean and in good working condition. The moment any problem arose, I had it fixed. I drove it very lightly, unlike most teenagers, and never took it above 2,000rpms on most occasions. But my family just doesn't know how to take car of cars, and my charity to them has really screwed me over. I'm particularly worried about the transmission, as it's slipped a few times (how bad is this, and is it on its way out?).

I normally would just trade it in (how much value would I get?), but I'm not sure that it'd get much, as it's not in great cosmetic condition, nor is it in great mechanical condition. I'm also a college student who has to support himself completely while in school, so I don't have a whole lot of money (roughly $1,500 saved...not enough for a decent car, I don't think) There's been a lot replaced, and I'd like to think there will be an end of the road sometime soon, but I'm not sure. I'm just looking for a good opinion on whether or not this XJ is going to be for me.

I'm not picky about what I drive, or what it looks like. I need something that's going to be reliable in the long run. I also don't mind fixing minor things such as leaks, and replacing small parts. I'd appreciate any advice that anyone can give me. Thank you!

i vote you keep it. but heres some advice for you, i am part of a family that does not maintain their vehicles. what i did was i took a wrote them a littel chart with months and a little task to do each month. for example, its march, lets say they drive 1500miles a month, on june i will write CHANGEOIL and i will go on and on for service like coolant flush, trans flush, powersteering flush, etc. tape a copy to their fridge and you keepa copy for yourself. remind them when time is getting close to service something.

another tidbit. i baught my heep from a man that did absolutely nothing to the truck. i just made sure it had good compression and had no knock or ping. i have a list of things wrong with the heep, there are about 30 things o that list at the momment. one by one im doing each and crossing them off as money and time allow.

jeeps and easy to work on. cheap (i baught a not that rusty 88 parts xj the other day for 120$). and a dime a dozen.

good luck:looney:

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I'd like to keep it.

Well, my dad isn't an easy character to work with, and he's the one that's totally abusing the car. He refuses to get the oil changed on the logic that it leaks oil, so it changes itself anyway. I asked him about the crud floating around in there, and he didn't have an answer, but still continued to defend himself. He thinks I'm being "particular" and rather selfish with my requests that he take better care of it. The interior is an absolute mess, and many pieces inside have been broken, as he's used it for work, etc. Most of the pieces that are broken are a result of him randomly deciding to try to fix the sagging headliner at about 6pm one evening. He took all the parts out, threw them in the back, decided that there wasn't enough time to finish it that night, and left them in the back. They sat there, trim pieces, screws and all for about 3 months, while having things thrown on top of them, cracking a lot of them, and a lot of screws went missing. I'd like to just tear the interior out...

Has anyone here completely removed the headliner (including the backing board)? I figure metal would look better than an ugly brown board.

Oh yeah, and the door's upper hinge completely detached from the body today. It was alright when I left it with them, but since it's taken a lot of abuse, and finally gave out. I can't really afford to take it to a body shop to get it fixed. Any suggestions on how I should go about getting that fixed in the cheapest manner possible?

I'd like to keep it, because I really, really, really doubt that it will get a good trade in value. Especially with so many little things being broken. Who would want to buy a car with a ton of interior pieces broken, an excessively stained carpet, a door that's about to fall off, paint that's oxidizing and getting very bad, among many other things?

I just ordered a headliner repair kit for like $45 online. Comes with new material, foam backing and adhesive. Easy to do, looks great.

But if you are going to contiue to let your parents drive it, either make them be responsible for it , or take it from them and let them fend for themselves. Your parents will wind up costing you more than the car would. And for what? You are doing what any loving son would do, but with no return in effort from them. You have got to make them do the required maintenance or they'll kill that Cherokee in no time.

All of the stuff listed is fairly minor, as long as it's taken care of soon. The saggy door problem can be fixed at the dealer. there's a Tech bulletin for it. It'll cost you parts plus about 3 hours of labor. I have to get the same thing done to mine. But it needs to get done before the door falls off...and it will fall off.

Good luck with it. I'd keep it, and keep my parents out of it if I were you. Of course, I'm a d*** like that, and my dad doesn't talk to me now. :) I'm 36 years old.

Ahh, I'm just looking out for my family. It's not for my father that I'm letting him use it. I happen to have 4 much younger siblings, so there lies the problem.

They use the car pretty much all day (family of 7...one car...), so there's little time for me to get any work done. I might also add that they don't have a home (my father is basically worthless), so there's no place to work on it.

I don't have enough money at the moment to get the door fixed. I'm considering taking it off completely so it doesn't break any more, although I'm sure this will be protested. I mean, the door is going to come off eventually, as it's hanging by one hinge. I figure it'd be better to save it while I can. It's my car...I'm fine with driving without a door. If my dad has a problem, well...beggars can't be choosers.

I really could care less about the headliner. I've never been much for frills. Well, I'd appreciate a nice car as much as the next person, but anything that isn't necessary can go. I'm in college and have to support myself, so I can't afford anything fancy until I've got a well-paying job somewhere.

critik

you sound like a really good guy...maybe you should talk to some fellow jeepers in your area, and ask them to help out for a worthy cause.

good luck

Definitely keep it then. If you dump it, only to replace it with something that you can afford, more than likely, your just buying someone else's problems. At least with this one, you know what the problems are.

i did my own headliner. i pulled the board, peeled off the old fabric carefully, scrubbed the old glue residue with a brush(dont scrub INTO the fiberglass, just the foamy residue that crumbles off), got 2 cans of 3m super77 spray adhesive and a trip to the local fabric store for some really cheap black fabric.

spray both the clean board and the fabric, i like to let the adhesive dry until tacky and then i carefully lay over the fabric avoiding any folds or creases, when its all glue in place trim off the extra fabric and reinstall

the cans of super77 were like 8bucks each and the fabric was like <20$. i had enough super77 left over for the visors too.

about the door. take off the door for a weekend, durring the weekend go to a welding shop and have them reweld the already broken hinge on the door and have them rienforce the other hinge while they are there. heres a tip, go to your local voccational school and talk to the welding instructor, at my votech they will do work for really cheap, the only problem is that it wont look as pretty as the welding shop. but if youre low on money try your voccational school, hell, try the voccational school and have them give the entire xj a look over at the automotive classes they offer

cheers:wave:

Sorry to hear of such an unfortunate situation. The others on here have given good advice about your XJ . I'm only going to put my nose in here and say this because I'm so impressed with your character and thoughtfulness for the others in your family. You wont change your parents so don't let them drag you down. You may have to break financial ties with them.You can only do so much for some people or they will take from you forever and destroy you. Your on the right track by going to college. Don't stop. Work hard at all you do. Accomplish all you can and then you will be able to help your siblings. Be a good example for them. Don't go against your parents, just work around them to help your siblings. Don't give up, some of our countries greatest people have gone through the toughest situations. Your a good young man. Easy on the booze, NO drugs, keep your dick in your pants. Im not going to tell you good luck. Theres no luck to it. Its always surprising how luck seems to follow hard work.

needsrepair said:
Sorry to hear of such an unfortunate situation. The others on here have given good advice about your XJ . I'm only going to put my nose in here and say this because I'm so impressed with your character and thoughtfulness for the others in your family. You wont change your parents so don't let them drag you down. You may have to break financial ties with them.You can only do so much for some people or they will take from you forever and destroy you. Your on the right track by going to college. Don't stop. Work hard at all you do. Accomplish all you can and then you will be able to help your siblings. Be a good example for them. Don't go against your parents, just work around them to help your siblings. Don't give up, some of our countries greatest people have gone through the toughest situations. Your a good young man. Easy on the booze, NO drugs, keep your dick in your pants. Im not going to tell you good luck. Theres no luck to it. Its always surprising how luck seems to follow hard work.

x2
i agree 100% with the post. great guidance.

I feel for you on the family thing. Mine is kinda an issue too. I aint no shrink or nuthin but, this as how I look at these type of things. You are your own man now. Your Pop should've been his own man decades ago. You worked hard to put yourself into school. You workrd hard to buy the Jeep. You worked hard to repair the Jeep. You worked hard to maintain the Jeep. You sacrificed to make all these things happen. You sacrificed and provided this Jeep to your parents to use. They thanked you by destroying the thing you worked so hard for. The last time I checked, parents are supposed to sacrifice for their children. Not the other way around.

You aughta keep the Jeep. (Jeeps have souls, by the wway.) For the money you would get for it, plus what you have saved, you're only gonna inherit somone else's problems. Atleast with your Jeep, you already know what problems you have. The maintainence chart is a good idea if you think they'll stick to it. But what are you gonna do if they don't?? (I got $20.00 says they don't.)

Just find some excuse that you will need it at school. Maybe you need to attend a class that is only offered at a branch or sattelite campus when it will fit into your schedule.

Just remember that they are your family and they ar the only one your gonna get. Whatever decision you make, stick to your guns.

Ah, well, I'm just trying to do what I can. My dad is pressuring me to trade it in, and I really don't think that's a great idea, because I wouldn't be able to afford anything decent. At the moment, I have a car that I'm familiar with, and that's easy to work on. There's also ample information available for repairs. I think I'm better off sticking with it. Otherwise, I'd be losing out.

My dad likely wouldn't stick with a repair schedule. He thinks it's pointless (then again, he's nearly 50 years old and has never owned a car of his own...if he did, then he's lost it somehow...I think that says something about his credibility). It's pretty much on me to make sure it gets done. Which is fine, I suppose. It's just difficult, as they're constantly using the car (family of seven). There's not a big enough time frame for me to get anything done. The car needs a good weekend in a garage so that things can get fixed. Apparently they can't afford that.

I'm about to start putting my foot down, because I don't think it's my responsibility to provide him a car that he'll likely destroy. I'm cool with helping out, but only as long as he's not screwing me over. I don't want to lose a car over this, because I have to have one.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I'm pretty sure I should keep it, too. At least until after college. I had a trusted mechanic check it out when I bought it. He said it'd easily last me another 100,000 if I took care of it. I'm confident that I can get it, too. It'll just be a little work.

Really, this may sound immature but if you worry about your XJ that much. Hope for the best, and when spring break comes around, take it back to college with you or leave it at a friends place.

Family is family. But as much as you love your family. Driving your possesions into the ground is just cruel and inhumane. its not theirs. They are borrowing it. Too bad so sad, its yours and from the sounds of it, you're right a good weekend in a yard with some brews and some friends can bring new life to this XJ.

Keep it, stash it at a friends for a while or take it back with you, anything but leaving it at home to be destroyed.

Wow. Now that you are going to college and you have worked for it, don't enable disfunctional behavior of your parents. They are abusing you to the core. Take more control of your life. You are on the right path. Keep going and confront the hard situations with decisions you know in your heart are right.

I don't expect your parents to change one bit without a lot of tough love from you and then it would be suprising if they did. The real issue is not the Jeep but your relationship with your parents. You can repair the Jeep, I quesition the ability of any child to repair their parents who are as broken as you described.

Having said that, I would follow ComancheColt advise. Rescue the XJ before it is too late! Allow your parents the opportunity to be responsible for there actions/decisions.

Back