• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiant barrier paint additive in bedliner

I used 5 gallons of a sound deadening latex paint with that type of filler inside my Jeep, and the tranny tunnel - which I layered up with probably 4-5mm still got hot enough that you didn't want to leave your hand rested on it for long. It might have made a difference, but considering that you're probably not going to be using but 1.5 gallons of bedliner, I would guess the difference to be minimal to nonexistant. Though I don't see how it would hurt anything and for 8 bucks I would do it just for the hell of it.

How has the paint held up? Did you put anything over it? How would it compair to using herculiner? I'd like to get rid of my carpet but don't currently have the budget for a bedliner.

Also, it sounds like it'd be a good idea to put some microsphere filler in the bedliner stuff.

srimes said:
How has the paint held up? Did you put anything over it? How would it compair to using herculiner? I'd like to get rid of my carpet but don't currently have the budget for a bedliner.

It's waterproof but I wouldn't rate it as a protective coating. Doesn't bond securely enough to the metal for that. It was sprayed on top of butyl/aluminum sound deadening mats and covered it with a foam/vinyl barrier that I sealed at all edges and openings with silicone and more foam and then carpet on top of that. That project was initally intended to be just herculiner, and then after reading about the noise and heat it kinda snowballed into an expensive sound deadening project that didn't even involve herc and had a poor ROI; it's tough to try and make a Jeep something it's not. :dunno:

lilredwagn said:
It's waterproof but I wouldn't rate it as a protective coating. Doesn't bond securely enough to the metal for that. It was sprayed on top of butyl/aluminum sound deadening mats and covered it with a foam/vinyl barrier that I sealed at all edges and openings with silicone and more foam and then carpet on top of that. That project was initally intended to be just herculiner, and then after reading about the noise and heat it kinda snowballed into an expensive sound deadening project that didn't even involve herc and had a poor ROI; it's tough to try and make a Jeep something it's not. :dunno:

Good advice. Went on a road trip today (see my post under oem tech), and I listened for road noise as i've pulled out the padding from under the carpet. If I listen carefully I can hear something, but it's mostly drowned out by the wind noise. Figgured after that that there isn't much point in worrying too awful much about road noise in the jeep.

Back