• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check out my new cooling setup

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have just done what I think is the best cooling setup I could come up with. I fitted a Ford Taurus 2 speed fan which is claimed to be the most powerful fan made for either for OEM or the aftermarket. A whopping 4500 cfm on high and 2500 on low. This fully replaces the mechanical fan so saves you some fuel and noise and gains you some hp as well. I also have it mounted so that it leaves the stock A/C fan in place as also is setup to draw air through a 20,000 GVM auto cooler that sits 'below' the radiator so it does not impede its flow or add heat to it. Full write up on the auto cooler very soon.
TaurusFan35.jpg

You can see how it fits in nicely and going down and convering the new auto cooler as well. Dont forget that this is a RHD so on the opposite side.
TaurusFan26.jpg

TaurusFan44.jpg

Fits neatly at the top with the support I made for it while still fitting next to the A/C fan.
When this fan kicks into high, it really sucks the air through the radiator and is the first time I feel it easily pulls more than a stock mechincal fan!
I have it fully controlled by the ECU to turn on and off at either high or low speeds. On low for normal running around and then can flick a switch to run at high when it needs it like when towing offroad which I do a lot of through deep desert sand in 100+ temps.
TaurusFan68.jpg

The second switch allows it to run fully auto, turn both off for river crossings or turn on at any time over riding the ECU.
See my how to section in the engine and driveline modifications section for a full write up and even the wiring details.
www.gojeep-xj.info

I have been waiting on this writeup even since you mention it a couple of months ago. Mounting it vertically, along with the cooler is a cleaver idea and I like that you keep the A/C fan as a backup.

I guess it requires removing the fan pulley, bearing and shaft to get enough room for the thick Ford fan. Do you know what length serpentine belt a late mdoel XJ would use?

Yes mate that is right. You will need a shorter belt on these at 2050 mm in length compared to the 2480 mm of the stock LHD one. Dino found that a belt from a Mercedes fitted perfectly.
This is his diagram.
Fan%20001.jpg

Just a key pad that is used for an ignition cut out. JC Whitney sells them.

Ah - mildly unconventional security, then. I was wondering if you'd come up with some other interesting idea...

The best security is anonymity - I could hand you the keys to my 88 (and even show you which set you use!) and you'd probaly never get it started. Yet, there's nothing that stands out.

I've left the keys in while I ran inside for a soda quick-like, came out, and had to airmail some kid halfway across the parking lot for trying to get my truck started. The look of terror is absolutely priceless...

Great install so far, I plan to do the same in the near future

Marcus, your creative skills never cease to amaze me. Your engine bay also looks so clean you could eat dinner off it. Do you wipe every corner with cotton buds? ;)
You've done just about every mod possible to your Jeep except one, so when are you going to build that 4.6 stroker your Jeep richly deserves?

This guy is amazing, very clear concise explanations, detailed to be dufus proof, love it. Thanks go jeep. By the way I too am waiting for the dufus proof stroker build article also.

Gojeep, or anyone else for that matter with first hand experience, is the contact angle in Dinos serpentine belt pic enough to drive alternator? For me it seems to be slightly small side compared to original contact angle of roughly 180 degrees.

Thanks guys for the feedback. :)
Makes the effort of putting up the write up worth while.

I will be doing a stroker dont you worry about that. It is rare for anything stock to go back in place on my Jeep as you may have noticed. ;) But I look after the Jeep so well it looks like it will be many years before a replacement is needed!

As for security, I have the key pad a a visual deterrent along with the flashing LED's so they might move on before even breaking in to start with. I also have separate fuel and ignition cutouts as well to slow them down even more as would never rely on one system.

Gojeep said:
I also have separate fuel and ignition cutouts as well to slow them down even more as would never rely on one system.

Hmmm, I didn't see a writeup as to where you put those! :scottm:

Well done as usual! Your list of tech writeups is pretty much my to do list. Keep up the good work.

Hey, GoJeep. Your link is not working this evening. I thought that you would like to know.

GoJeep: Awesome write-up! Yet another mod of yours I'll be adding to my growing 'to-do' list.

A small question if you would be so kind; if a person wasn't going to need two separate fans (we don't need the same levels of cooling as you toasty warm Ozzies do down there, being mired in -21 Celsius BEFORE wind chilll...) would much trimming/fabbing be needed to run the fan vertically?

I'll run a search, but was hoping to hear your thoughts.

:)

XJPhoenix said:
GoJeep: Awesome write-up! Yet another mod of yours I'll be adding to my growing 'to-do' list.

A small question if you would be so kind; if a person wasn't going to need two separate fans (we don't need the same levels of cooling as you toasty warm Ozzies do down there, being mired in -21 Celsius BEFORE wind chilll...) would much trimming/fabbing be needed to run the fan vertically?

I'll run a search, but was hoping to hear your thoughts.

I think you mean horizontally as that is way the fan is normally mounted. I have turned it 90* to vertical to fit it in next to the A/C fan. Taz on JU showed how he had mounted it normally without a A/C fan on the same thread I started there. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804652
He may have tilted the radiator forward as some do, so ask him about that. You would not need to trim at all and the radiator is longer than the fan shroud but would have to either block off, what is hanging below the radiator, or fit a long narrow cooler in that space like I have done too.
That write up is up now too on fitting the cooler in the lower section.

ren said:
Hey, GoJeep. Your link is not working this evening. I thought that you would like to know.

It is working now my friend. Who knows what is happening between you and Norway where the site is hosted?? ;)

Rust Heap said:
Hmmm, I didn't see a writeup as to where you put those! :scottm:

Well done as usual! Your list of tech writeups is pretty much my to do list. Keep up the good work.

Funny that! ;)

Killman said:
Gojeep, or anyone else for that matter with first hand experience, is the contact angle in Dinos serpentine belt pic enough to drive alternator? For me it seems to be slightly small side compared to original contact angle of roughly 180 degrees.

Pm Dino about it as I dont have mine running that way being a RHD. Plenty of others have now done the same without every reporting slippage so must be fine?

Gojeep said:
I think you mean horizontally as that is way the fan is normally mounted. I have turned it 90* to vertical to fit it in next to the A/C fan. Taz on JU showed how he had mounted it normally without a A/C fan on the same thread I started there. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804652
He may have tilted the radiator forward as some do, so ask him about that. You would not need to trim at all and the radiator is longer than the fan shroud but would have to either block off, what is hanging below the radiator, or fit a long narrow cooler in that space like I have done too.
That write up is up now too on fitting the cooler in the lower section.

Ack!

Yes, I meant horizontally... My bad. :)

I've been holding off on this sort of a swap because I'm wary of the heavy duty initial draw, and because I'm nervous of custom electrical work. (Might as well get past that, eh?)

Thanks for the advice!

XJPhoenix said:
Ack!

Yes, I meant horizontally... My bad. :)

I've been holding off on this sort of a swap because I'm wary of the heavy duty initial draw, and because I'm nervous of custom electrical work. (Might as well get past that, eh?)

Thanks for the advice!

With the right wire gauge and relays, you have nothing to fear so jump right in. ;)
Have you re-wiring your headlights like I how in no time next too. ;)

Back