• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manual control of the overdrive

p.b.

NAXJA Forum User
Somebody asked me something and I had no answer:

I was told that the aw4 is a 3 speed trans with an overdrive.
Is it possible to comand manually the overdrive?
for example with a switch, such as with the torque converter lock-up, to have a "half" speed between 1 2 3, as was possible on old jeeps with an "external" overdrive added on.

I had no answer to give.
Is it possible or not?
Thank you for the help,

Paolo

AW4 is a four speed tranny. Fourth gear is also called overdrive because it is an overdrive gear ratio. An overdrive ratio is one that numerically less than 1. The lock-up torque converter can make it seem like you have a five speed tranny. You could add a switch to allow manual control of the torque converter lock up; however, the OEM design does a good job of taking care of it automatically.

Yeah! I would like to know how to manually control the torque converter lockup. My 2000 with 31" tires and 3.55 gears might get down the road better in 4th without lockup. I now run in 3rd with lockup with the RPM at about 2100-2200. My Dodge pickup has a button to defeat overdrive. Would this work in a similar fashion without wearing out or hurting the trans in any way? Maybe just added heat without lockup?

Pleembob, your dodge truck with the O/D off will still have lock up in 3rd gear, The aw4 will do the same if you pull the shifter down in 3rd. My old cherokee was on 31's and 3.73's and ran real nice down the freeway about what yours does in 3rd. The heat might be a factor, but just put a nice aftermarket cooler on it and it should be fine the way you have it now.

Back