• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best year & model

Pre- OBDII will be easier to modify. 91' was the first year of the H.O. 4.0L and had the better cooling system. Early 90's XJ's had the AW4 auto tranny that can take some abuse. Rear axles are easily swapped. But best bang if you don't feel like swapping axles would be a late 90's with the 29 spline 8.25 rear and front Dana 30 had bigger axlejoints.

trying to find the best donar for my 86 mj,it still runs ok but the 2.8l v6 will not be fixed wen it goes...i want to swap everything drivetrain, axles, wiring harness...looking for simplisity. stock everything mod later (i am set on a newer style dash,ect.)

I own 4 XJ's.
90' RENIX w/AW4 NP231 and swapped in 8.25 29 spline
94' OBD1 w/8.25 27 sp, AW4 and NP231
96' OBD2 w/8.25 29 spline, AW4 and NP231 With some lift and gears/lockers
00' OBD2(no dist) w/29sp 8.25, NP231, AW4, LP D-30

Of all of them I like the 90 the best, RENIX is easy to diagnose/repair and makes just as much power as the HO's. The AW4 seems to have a lower first gear ratio as well, don't know. Downside is the vacuum disco. front axle and the stock D-35 but there are plenty of D-30's/29 sp 8.25's in the yards to take care of those problems.

Naturally what ever I have is the best, so get a 96!

Seriously, I would look for a 92-99, though all I would really be looking for is a 91+ HO 4.0L engine with an AW4 automatic transmission and a transfer case. if it comes with a disconnect D30 convert it to non-disconnect, and put in a Chrysler 8.25 from a 97+, unless you have a D44 now in the rear, in which case I would leave it alone. XJ axles are dirt cheap at the junkyard or craigslist so I would try to get a donor vehicle for the drive train, and then get axles from a junkyard if your donor didn’t have what you want.

If memory serves me correctly MJs are spring under in the rear, so a new rear axle might not be a simple bolt on, just something to be aware of.

BingBing said:
Pre- OBDII will be easier to modify. 91' was the first year of the H.O. 4.0L and had the better cooling system. Early 90's XJ's had the AW4 auto tranny that can take some abuse. Rear axles are easily swapped. But best bang if you don't feel like swapping axles would be a late 90's with the 29 spline 8.25 rear and front Dana 30 had bigger axlejoints.
considering that most Jeep modifications consist of suspension upgrades, what makes you say that a Pre OBD2 makes anything easier?

Almost all of the early '90s XJs and MJs I've seen around here seem to rust out like there is no tommorow, I'd say body wise '87-'90, engine anything past late '91-'97 and axles anything non dana 35, so find a combo of all those and you've got yourself a rig.

'97 was when OBD2 was put in right?

Final vote: 1987-1990 I6 AW4 (just convert the closed cooling system)

akamcbird said:
trying to find the best donar for my 86 mj,it still runs ok but the 2.8l v6 will not be fixed wen it goes...i want to swap everything drivetrain, axles, wiring harness...looking for simplisity. stock everything mod later (i am set on a newer style dash,ect.)

Ouch.

Putting a 4.0 in a pre-87 engine compartment is tough. You'll probably need to clearance the firewall.

A better bet might be the 3.1L / 3.4L V6 from a Camaro or something, it's pretty much a direct bolt-in. Same bellhousing etc.

uncc civilengineer said:
Im partial to my 98 Limited....
Haha you got a '98 Limited too? I love my Limited. Didn't like it at first since it was the almost complete opposite of what I wanted, but I soon grew to it since it has a lot of stuff I overlooked. Can't say much about the best year XJ since I've only owned my '98 but it has taken a ton of abuse.

'97-'99 because of the upgraded axles, the new body, & still using the HP30. I DD a '98 and wheel a '93, but I upgraded the rear axle on the '93 to the 29-spline out of a '97+ and upgraded the front D30 shafts to 297x joint shafts out of a 97+ also. The 97+ body is supposed to be stiffer also, but I can't tell a difference in mine. If you find any year 91+ XJ for a really good price, I'd just buy it because it's easy to swap in all the good parts from other years.

Avoid the 84-86' like the plague. You really cannot go wrong with 87'+ with the 4.0L and AW4, the last year or so 00-01' or just 01' was LP30 like a TJ. 91-95' were good because of the High Output motor and OBD1, 96'+ were OBD2 so a catalytic will have to be OEM which can make it 3-4X as much to replace if you need to replace it. Late 96'+ had the nice 29 spline 8.25 if they did have a 8.25 and 297 Spicer u-joints (same size as the modern day dana 44's) in the dana 30.
You can luck out and get a 87' with a 242 select track and dana 44 rear axle and non disco 30 with the 4.0L and AW4. I had this in my 87', but sold the 44 for $ and now am trying to sell the XJ.

For a trail rig I'd say 87'-95' if possible, 91'-95' preferred. For a daily driver I love my 98' 2 dr 5 speed 231 and my wheeler is a 91' AW4 241 Rock Trac HP44/9". Much easier to get parts for 84-96' as they share the same body/trim then trying to find parts for a 97'+ once you get a little rock rash.

All in all you cannot beat the 4.0L and AW4/AX15 231 combo, even the 242 is great and very nice in bad weather due to the 2 4 high with 4 low and 2 wheel modes also.

I've had about a dozen XJs over the years (4 currently 87', 91', 97', 98') so I've come to some conclusions about them. :D

Troy

vetteboy said:
Ouch.

Putting a 4.0 in a pre-87 engine compartment is tough. You'll probably need to clearance the firewall.

A better bet might be the 3.1L / 3.4L V6 from a Camaro or something, it's pretty much a direct bolt-in. Same bellhousing etc.

fire wall clearances are not an issue my firewall matches one in a 4.0 equiped xj and im pretty sure this is adressed somewere but the comanches all got the 4.0 firewall

besides im trying to eliminate everything chevy from my jeep (a longer list than you would imagine down to the keys)

am not concerned with the body of my donar except maybe doors

avoid the 84-86 like the plague...one of the first things i learned about jeeps...after buying an 86...(still got a good price and would have baught it anyway)

Back