• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine year identification?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a used engine a couple of years ago for my 92 xj. now I am getting ready to swap it in. The engine I bought was supposed to be a 96,but I have swapped sensors from the 96 onto the 92 and they worked on the 92 engine also. wouldn't a 96 4.0 be OBD2,so the sensors shouldn't have worked on the 92 engine? Is there a code on the engine somewhere that I can look up to see what year it is? thanks for the help,Bwn

More like, it hadn't been seen by the right people yet...

The primary difference between OBD-I and OBD-II isn't so much the sensors, it's the way the controller handles the data from the sensors. I'd have to check to be sure, but I think that early OBD-II uses many of the same sensors (same internally, not same externally) as OBD-I

As OBD-II was refined, so were the sensors - but 1996 was the first year for OBD-II, so it stands to reason that the sensors wouldn't have changed that much from 1995 and earlier.

This is the sort of topic I'd like to address with Swappology, along with several others.

Back