• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 upgrade: 27 to 29 Spline Feasibility

Dustins94Country

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all- I'm running a 94 XJ w/ 32x11.50 BFG M/Ts. Being a '94, I believe my axle is a 27 spline 8.25 (If I am wrong please correct me). My question is: How easy is it to upgrade to 29 spline shafts? Is it worth it? Is it very expensive to do? Thanks!

Search on the subject. There is ALOT of info on the swap!

Short and sweet. New 29 spline carrier, new 29 spline side gears, new 29 spline axle shafts.

Always worth it to upgrade.

You could swap in a whole 29 spline 8.25 for the price of new shafts, carrier, and side gears.

Last edited:
General rule of thumb with this forum is to ignore the first response. Usually, the first words WILL contain "search" in them.

Now with that said, I've never done this, nor have I ever even pulled an axle shaft out as I'm still a noob. I believe it entails replacing the carrier and whatever else is involved with the carrier (new bearings, etc...).

Since bitching about the search has been covered in this post, we can move on and answer this guys question. Sheesh what a bunch of ORF's.

James

vwkaferman said:
General rule of thumb with this forum is to ignore the first response. Usually, the first words WILL contain "search" in them.

Now with that said, I've never done this, nor have I ever even pulled an axle shaft out as I'm still a noob. I believe it entails replacing the carrier and whatever else is involved with the carrier (new bearings, etc...).

Since bitching about the search has been covered in this post, we can move on and answer this guys question. Sheesh what a bunch of ORF's.

James

STFU noob. Why beat the dead horse when the info is already avaliable?

I did answer his question, BTW. Since you had to add your worthless 2 cents, it contains no answer to his question, but only to bitch about people saying search.

:conceited

Dustins94Country said:
Hey all- I'm running a 94 XJ w/ 32x11.50 BFG M/Ts. Being a '94, I believe my axle is a 27 spline 8.25 (If I am wrong please correct me). My question is: How easy is it to upgrade to 29 spline shafts? Is it worth it? Is it very expensive to do? Thanks!
if youve already got it regeared, and what not you should just get a set of alloy shafts, they will be plenty strong

Thanks, to the BOTH of you. I have definitely noticed that members are quick to point out the search function. However, when directed to do a search dozens of links appear. thanks vdub

If you want 4.11's it would have to be a 2.5l 4 cyl cherokee with an 8.25 1997 or newer if it is a 4.0 the manual actually got a higher gear 3.07 ratio. You could do the axle swap real easy with the new shafts, and a side gear set. if the carrier is in fine working order you don't have to replace it, just the side gears in the carrier.

xjjeeper19 said:
the carrier is in fine working order you don't have to replace it, just the side gears in the carrier.

Wrong. You need a new 29 spline carrier, or have the 27 spline one machined out, to accept the slightly larger shaft. In turn, the side gears will be slightly larger, and will not fit into the 27 spline carrier.

Last edited:
They guy I work next to did this on his 91 with out the 29 spline carrier. not to mention that the carrier updates one more time to accept the ring gear of the newer jeep grand cherokee, you can tell those apart from the older 29 spline's because the have gold bolts on the ring gear. the teeth count on the side gears of the 27 nand 29's have the same numerical value and are no bigger in size than the 27's

Sent you a PM and yeah its worth it.... The 29sp 8.25 has similar strength to the 44. The 8.25 has larger dia. axle tubes, stronger pinion, only slightly (very slightly) smaller dia. axle shafts, and only a slightly smaller ring gear.. Its plenty beefy enough for atleast 35's.

vwkaferman said:

James
Agreed. I posted about this about a week ago. I knew I needed to change the shafts and spiders, but didn't know about the carrier. The more I thought about it it made sense. Either way ..the search function sucks and pulls too many threads with worthless information. Once you wade threw all the crap you could have been flamed and had your answer by reposting.

CanMan said:
STFU noob. Why beat the dead horse when the info is already avaliable?

I did answer his question, BTW. Since you had to add your worthless 2 cents, it contains no answer to his question, but only to bitch about people saying search.

:conceited

Actually I did answer his question with what I thought was correct, and I believe it is. You may have stopped reading after the first sentence.

BTW, I regged BEFORE you, just because I don't post whore makes me no noob. There is life away from the computer. It's ok, close the lid, it will turn back on.

James

CanMan said:
..........or have the 27 spline one machined out, to accept the slightly larger shaft. In turn, the side gears will be slightly larger, and will not fit into the 27 spline carrier.
I've read this before and considered doing that before I swapped in my D44 but, has anybody actually machined the carrier to accept the 29 spline side gears? I would like to hear from someone that actually did this modification--------Hans

thanks CAN MAN i just bought an aussie locker 8.25 29 spline and go to put in in the original carrier and what do u know it doesnt fit!!!!!! just a facial hair off!!! so yes your right new carrier

I think, not sure as I haven't done my swap yet, but I bought overhaul kit for the 29 spline, larger diameter shafts old bearings won't work. Besides it's opened already right...

Back