• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buying an '88 mj?

Cornflake

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chance later this afternoon to pick up an '88 MJ for 200 bucks. Manual with the 2.5 liter. 2 wheel drive. Anything I need to know about this particular engine/transmission set-up? I've only dealt with the 4 liters not 4 bangers. Anything else to look for good or bad? Let me know. Thanks...

Not too bad for a parts rig. Should have 4.11, or even possible 4.56 axles. The 2.5l was always a bit of a dog and it will likely have the crappy Puegot tranny.

Only one thing, if you don't want it, PM me and I'll nab it. I'm just outside of Chico. I've been looking for one for two years. There's a nice 4X4 in Paradise but he wants way too much. I'm looking for my next project.

Mj a close cosin of the XJ. I not trying to drive you away but would you not be better severed on a MJ forum.
Beside all the 2WD MJ owner are cannibalizing all the 4WD XJ around here.
We have been forced into using F-O-R-D drive train parts. What is this world coming to.:)

i have an xj like most of the people here that have mj's and xj's. not looking to steal parts. we have a jeep recycling place here in town that i can get mj, xj, cj, zj parts from with no problem. i just wanted to see if there was something extra to look for. i know that it might have 4:10 or maybe even 4:56. not sure if it can have the dana 44 in the rear? probably a puke-goat tranny not an ax-15. this thing is located a good trip away so i'm sending my in laws to go look at it and retrieve it as long as it's road worthy and take it back to their place. then i can go get it this weekend. i was just curious on if there was something i might not know about to look for to let them know. i'm having my father in law call me on his cell while he's going over eveything so that i can tell him what to look for.

The tranny is an AX4, same as the AX5 without the overdrive gear.

A friend of mine had a 2.5 MJ that had about 225k on the clock and it was pretty well used up. No knocks or rattles, but it was a complete dog.

Later,
Joe

Back