• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new knock after oil change.

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
I just did an oil change: 10-30 valvoline w/1/2 quart of Lucas, w/ a Bosch filter. Now after changing the oil there's a noticeable loud tap. If you watch the rocker arms it looks like the noise coencides w/the movement of the rockers. Oil pressure is just about 60 when cold, and about 37, idle when warm, and climbs when you hit the throttle. After about 5 mins of driving the noise does seem to quite down 10 fold, and it sounds like a normal clackity jeep. My question is, is this Piston Slap? Sticking lifter? It only came about after the recent oil change. Do you think the noise will go away as the oil gets "broken in"?

TIA guys,

Sean

The oil wont get broke in. I don't know how many miles you have. You have the valve cover off? It sounds to me more like a loose rocker noise. You could check the manual for the proper method of adjusting. The oil filter may do it? What filter did you have before? I use a napa. I know there is lots of stuff on here about filters. If it didn't make noise before, go back to the same filter you had before and see if it stops. If you mess with the rocker adjustment remember there is a sequence to adjusting them. You would want to follow the manual.

Pretty sure it's not the rockers, seeing as how it just started after i changed the oil. My guess is that one of the lifters is gummed up from the Lucas. Don't know for sure. The motor's got 182k on her. I was using a Fram before, and just recently switched to a Bosch after all the crap I heard about the fram's. The oil may not get "broke in" but it will break down after sometime. I don't believe it's the filter also, seeing as how I'm getting great oil pressure. IIRC if the filter was plugged or crap, the oil pressure readings would be very low...

My 2000 fsm shows non adjustable rockers. They have a bridge type holder that is torqued to 21 ft lbs. If you have the cover off, roll the crank and as the rockers move to the slack position feel to see if any are loose. If you have high miles they could be worn, but the question remains of why didn't they do it before. That brings us back to the oil and filter. Those are the two things different in the equation right now.

I hear people complain about Fram on this board. I used them for years. Had 285,000 on one car. I went to a large napa filter. It gave me a little more oil in the system. Napa seems to have a good reputation.

Duhhhhh I see your miles now. 182,000. Thats getting up there but the same question remains.....if it was quiet before the oil change why is it noisy now. I cant see it being the oil. Maybe the filter.

here's my guess.
You're in MN, it's cold, you added lucas to the oil, which thickens it.
Thick oil doesn't pump up lifters very well. My guess is you've got a weak lifter, or one that bleeds down all the way when it sits, the thick oil isn't getting into the lifter and pumping it up until it's warm, 10 minutes after you start it.
lucas is good stuff, but I had the same problem when I tried it in my 4.0 during the summer months, I wouldn't dream of running it in the cold. I even went to 10W30 for the winter, as 40W was taking too long to build pressure for my tastes when it was cold out.

that lucas probably loosened some crap up, and it got into a lifter. It may come out, or not. These oil additives are fine if they're used frequently, but if the engine has never been cleaned, all the that sludge and dirt will come loose at once.

If the new oil is already dark, change it again sooner than later, cause more grime is dissolving into the oil every time you drive.

I have a similar problem. I have a ticking noise when the engine is cold, it was diagnosed as most likely to be a sticky lifter. I've been running 10/30 castrol half-synth, The other day I changed to mobil1 5/30 (This would be a much thinner oil, right?)

That made the ticking MUCH WORSE. I immediately went back to the thicker castrol, but the problem stayed. Now it ticks even when the engine is warm!

WTF happened?

Could this be something other than a bad/ stuck lifter?

UltimateG said:
I have a similar problem. I have a ticking noise when the engine is cold, it was diagnosed as most likely to be a sticky lifter. I've been running 10/30 castrol half-synth, The other day I changed to mobil1 5/30 (This would be a much thinner oil, right?)

That made the ticking MUCH WORSE. I immediately went back to the thicker castrol, but the problem stayed. Now it ticks even when the engine is warm!

WTF happened?

Could this be something other than a bad/ stuck lifter?
the difference between 5w30 and 10w30 isn't going to be much, only when the oil is cold. When hot thye should both be a 30W oil.

You'll have to do some poking around with a mechanics stethoscope to diagnose your motor.
Find the location of the noise, if it's in the top of the block it's something most likely in the valvetrain, if it's in the bottom of the block it's likely main bearings.

Personally speaking, oil addtives to me are just looking for trouble. I grew up where 'STP' was the hot oil additive, the something similar called "stud", then all the bardhal crap. Run a good synthetic oil in 10W30 or 5W30 in winter and you don't need any additives. At -0F- my 4.0XJ and my 2.5TJ both turn over the same as when it's 70F out...Same with the wifes Olds and the sons YJ. I use a good quality filter, Mobil-1 or K&N or even factory Mopar and have no issues.

87manche said:
here's my guess.
Thick oil doesn't pump up lifters very well. My guess is you've got a weak lifter, or one that bleeds down all the way when it sits, the thick oil isn't getting into the lifter and pumping it up until it's warm, 10 minutes after you start it.
lucas is good stuff, but I had the same problem when I tried it in my 4.0 during the summer months, I wouldn't dream of running it in the cold. I even went to 10W30 for the winter, as 40W was taking too long to build pressure for my tastes when it was cold out.

I agree. Had something similar happen to my high milage (Ford..) van last summer; I added Lucas to my oil change and the next day headed out to the shore. Engine had no power pulling out from a light, lifters sounded like they were going to wind up in our laps. Next day we ran a flush through the engine, then went back to just oil, no additives. Bottom line, everything back to normal, full power back. Lucas is good for something I guess, but not for me.

87manche said:
here's my guess.
I agree with what 87manche said above. I use Lucas in the hotter months only and use, used additives like Marvel Mystery oil during the winter.

The Marvel Mystery oil helped the sticking hydraulic lifters in mine unstick and quite down during the winter. Adding Lucas in the Winter, unless you have a major oil pressure problem already can cause lifter noise (as 87manche described, they don't pump up until the oil gets really hot enough to flow well).

I might add that adding Lucas helped my oil pressure and also quieted down the lifters in mine in the summer, in Houston Tx.

i agree with Rich. use a synth. of some brand and you shouldn't need anything else. the older i get get, the more skeptical i am of additives. although, oil is already full of additives, (engineered package) soooo, is more better or just a waste of money?

flexjay87 said:
i agree with Rich. use a synth. of some brand and you shouldn't need anything else. the older i get get, the more skeptical i am of additives. although, oil is already full of additives, (engineered package) soooo, is more better or just a waste of money?

I agree, synthetic is great stuff, except in the case of those with old, high mileage engines who still have old engine seals and gaskets in their engines that are not yet leaking, and who do not want to immediately start replacing every seal and gasket in their engine!

For those of us who have old worn engines with some kind of oil pressure problems, and /or lifter noise problems and who are not yet prepared to pull the engines...... these additives do have a place!

I would not use oil additives, and would instead use synthetics, but only on a good running, well sealed engine.

Wow. Thanks for all the quick and helpful responses guys. I got a chance to really work the motor tonight. We've been having a heat wave up here in Minnesota(things are nice and muddy). When the oil was fully warm the idle psi was 25 the went up accordingly to around 50. I should add that once warm, it sounded perfect. No knock, no tick. I'm thinking 87 manche was right about the sticky lifter. I might change it back to just the 10w30 w/out the lucas. I did however switch the filter back to Fram just to see if the noise went away. Think I should put the Bosch back on? Or just run the Fram till next oil change?

Back