• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can anyone recommend shocks?

Fairmonco

NAXJA Forum User
Haven`t posted on here in a while,got myself a job.Anyways...I need to get new shocks for my XJ,I will still running the ones that came with my 4.5" RC kit,but am now at 6.5" and I over extended the rears the other day pulling them out of the mounts...and that was just going through an intersection on my way to work!

Can anyone recommend a set of shocks? /Nothing hi-dollar,or top of the line,just a set that will work with a 6.5" lift correctly.

Probably every shock made is run by some folks on this board..........so exactly what are you asking for? You can get recomendations for pretty much everything.

Ok......I'd recomend Pro-comps, Rancho 9000's, Bilstein 5150's, RE monotube....etc. The height of any particular 6.5" lift isn't necessarily the same, since you'd have to measure to see exactly what height you're at, and many folks have moved their lower shock mounts and some have moved their upper shock mounts. What length shock one person is running may or may not work exactly right for you. Might try slightly more detailed info on what you're looking for, it could help.

It's hard to beat a 5150 for a reasonable price, but is $100 a reasonable price or is $30? Pro Comps seem to be valved softer than Rancho 5000's, the Rancho's usually give a stiffer ride. The Rancho 9000 is usually a good choice since it's adjustable, so can be taylored to your likeness, and can be adjusted for handling, comfort, or trail work.

As far as length, as has been said around here forever, there's only one way to buy the correct length shock for any rig......unbolt your shocks, flex up the rig, and measure both extended and colapsed distance, then go to the shock chart to find your shocks.

Back