• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing parts to make a work truck

saab

NAXJA Forum User
To start off, I've done a bunch of searching and lurk the boards fairly often. I've seen some threads which cover what I want, but most are directed more towards off roading, not "working".

To start off, I bought a 01 XJ about a year ago with 190xxx currently on the clock. I moved it from Ohio/NY to WA, basically saving it from salt for the rest of it's life hopefully. I have 2 other vehicles (an everyday car and project roadster), so the Jeep will finish off it's life as an occasional work truck. However, it is defenitly the second vehicle and needs to be comfortable/reliable/practicle enough for every day use for visitors, breakdowns, etc. Therefore, everything needs to be done with moderation in mind.

Right now the XJ itself is in good condition, minor surface rust on some body panals (minimal), the engine pulls strong. I know that the transfer case was replaced when it went to auction about 3 years ago (NP 231). The tires are nearly toast, I know they're going to need replacement this summer. The rear is also sagging quite a bit, the 29 inch tires are nearly stuffed in the rear wheel wells as it is. The front is sagging a little as well, but no where near as bad as the rear.

My work plans for this truck involve towing (either a 4500 lb boat, just at the limit, or my roadster on a trailer, about 2500 to 3000 lb's). The larger loads would be very short (20 mile) distances, the car might go on some longer road trips.

Right now my immediate plans are to replace the sagging suspension and tires. Everything that's on there needs to go (springs, leafs and shocks). Orginally I was thinking about putting a 2 inch BB on there, but now I'm looking into a 3-4 inch kit. I'd rather not NEED a SYE, although it's on the list down the road. What's a good idea for a lift? I'd love to do ZJ coils and S10 leafs, but I think that's going to net too much lift? I'm not decidely cheap, but I like building stuff if I can and I love pick and pull yards. Maybe the RE 3.5 inch lift? That doesn't look like it includes complete leafs from the pictures.... am I wrong?

Wheels.... I think I'm going to get some 32 AT's. I'd love to get MT's, but in reality 70% of my driving is going to be highway/city, 25% dirt and light wheeling, 5% medium. Camping is something I'm getting into and there are some nice places to go out west well off the beaten path. 33's are probably just too much for practacility, especially if I'd rather not lift it more than 4 inches.

Further out plans. The rear 29 spline 8.25 is probably strong enough for everything I'm going to do, but disc brakes are going to be a serious boon if I start towing bigger loads, especially on a boat launch. Additionally, I've been thinking about a LSD, but that's probably out of the budget too. Maybe a locker instead?

I already have a tranny cooler and I expect the tranny to last. I'd love to have full time 4wd so I'm looking for a transfer case to upgrade to. The NP242 is of course a viable option, but what else is there?

Power. I've just started building a new engine for my roadster, once it's done (in many years haha) a 350 V8 is the next toy to get built. That's a long ways off, but if I can put parts in that will work down the road, I'd rather do it once right.

I guess that's it. What parts should I start looking for? There's a long list, but remember this is being built to work, not really for as much play.

Ben

Back