• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace front springs?

Sand-Dog

NAXJA Forum User
95 XJ, 4WD, 130K miles

With equal inflation of all tires, the driver's side is one inch lower to the ground when measured from the center to the headlight. The shocks were just replaced. My guess is that the front left spring is sagging. Last night I read the factory service manual on the procedure for replacing the front springs. It sounds pretty straight forward, but with a lot of front suspension and front drive train disassembly. Can someone who has done this job give me some advice on how long it takes to do it? Any landmines I need to avoid? Is there some other reason the XJ would be out of level other than the springs? The truck is not used for off-road, nor has the suspension been modified. Thanks in advance for input and advice.

Jack jeep up on jackstands, remove wheels, unbolt shocks on one end, disconnect sway bar and replace those cheesy factory ones with a nice set of JKS [why not, you got it apart so why not]. Jack up one side and other spring will fall out, replace and move jack to that side, repeat. Done once you bolt everything back up..

Sand-Dog said:
The factory manual sez ya gotta disconnect the ftont drive shaft to get it to drop enough. No?

dont worry about it...thats how come it takes the dealership 6 hrs to do a 2 hr job.

;)

I had a spring compressor pop off and hit me in the face...that was scary.

I find the best way is to jack it up and do what was said, lift one side of the axle and remove then do the opposite.

hmmm that reminds me, I still gotta remove that t-bar before the 4.5" coils go on...always something to do

Back