• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Creeking/Popping when on the breaks?

89jeepxjw

NAXJA Forum User
As I was on my way home from work I was slwoing slowly from 55mph, I heard and felt some kind of creaking. I put some more pressure on the brakes and then a loud pop/bang came from the driver side(cant exactly pinpoint where its coming from). Now any suspension travel results in the creaking sound and any rushed pressure to the brakes results in this pop. Im running FT 6" LA so the LCA flex bushing is my first thought but im not 100%. Any suggestions?

Check to see if the self adjusting cables are intact...they may have snapped.Is your brake light on?
Sounds like it's time for a rear brake inspection.Lube all the shoe pivot points,make sure the wheel cylinders are not leaking on to the shoes and check the return springs for rust.
Make sure the self adjusters are lubed and turn freely,readjust them also.
Are your track bar bolts tight?

Last edited:
Can you eloborate in more detail? Adjusting rods, where are they located? My brake light is on and I recently swapped in a toyota 8" with disks that seem to be working great?

If your brake light is on this means that there is a pressure difference bettween the front and rear circuits...do a search.There is a thread I started a few months ago concerning my brake problems.My light was on because the self adjuster cables had broke causing my rear brakes to be out of adjustment which in turn caused the brake light to be on along with a spongy peddle.Use proportioning valve as a key word in your search....HTH.

With rear discs you probably should have swapped to a ZJ (with factory rear discs) proportioning valve. Are you sure that all the hardware back there is good? No siezed calipers, properly installed pads ect?

Back