• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird electrical problem

rsliman

NAXJA Forum User
my leads from the battery to the starter and ground were old and worn out, every once in a while id have to get out and jiggle the cables to make the starter engage.... today my wife drove the xj to work and when she left for lunch it wouldnt start.. i told her to jiggle the cables, and then instructed her how to jump the starter, however she used jumper cables from the positive terminal of the battery to the negative terminal of the starter selenoid. now the lights, radio fan blower, p locks and windows dont work. when i turn the ignition to the start position all that happens is the starter relay buzzes. Im sure there was an arc, which caused a short, but i dont know where to start looking...

I was able to get to turn over and start, but no idle... im assuming the short was jiggled just enough to let it start, but it quickly died.

also, i was leaning over the passenger side of the engine bay, up near the winshield, i bumped something, anf the wipers moved and the fan kicked on... which leads me to believe the short is somewhere in that area... (near the fuse box)

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!!
thanks!!

Back