• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

17 spline Dana 60???????

heapxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Dana 60 in my garage that I just started to take apart. I have no idea what year it is or what it came out of. There is a Ford emblem stamped into the tag, 3.73 gears. The axle is ~63.5" WMS to WMS. I just took one shaft out and counted 17 splines. I thought Dana 60s were 35 spline. Anyone know what I have here???

heapxj said:
I have a Dana 60 in my garage that I just started to take apart. I have no idea what year it is or what it came out of. There is a Ford emblem stamped into the tag, 3.73 gears. The axle is ~63.5" WMS to WMS. I just took one shaft out and counted 17 splines. I thought Dana 60s were 35 spline. Anyone know what I have here???

I do seem to recall there were some D60's with low shaft spline counts - I'm thinking 17 or 19, so that sounds about right.

See if you can find a Bill of Materials number stamped into one of the axle tubes near the centre section. It will be a six-digit number with a one- or two-digit suffix, and should begin with "60" or "61." Get that number, and I can look it up for you.

I found a couple numbers on the tube. kinda had to read but here's my best shot: 603195 5 ........6 19 1C1................. 19 1C1

You've got a corse spline D60. They are around - out of earlier trucks IIRC. Pretty bloody useless unless you bore out the spindles and put 35 spline shafts in.

Oh, there's 30 spline 60s too.

OK...

BoM "603195-5"

1971-1972 Ford F-250 (Heavy-Duty,) open differential with 3.73:1 gearing. Same axle shaft on both sides (Dana p/n 35445-1)

Dana shaft 35445-1 is a one-piece shaft, inner splines are 1-5/16"-16, shaft is 33-5/8" long overall. Lugs are 8 on 3-31/32".

Could be worse - you could have two-piece shafts, with the wheel flanged splined on as well...

heapxj said:
what is IIRC?

Its the catch all for everyone who can't remember where they got their info or where they read it or who can't remember where the book is that they have it marked in....it stands for If I Remember Correctly.

Why not just get a carrier from a 30 or 35 spline unit and get cutsom shafts? Hell, get a locker that fits a 60 instead of just a carrier and you'll be golden. I don't know squat about 60's, but I imagine they'd be the same diff center section or close.

I am getting a locker for it. If I can use 35 spline shafts from another rear end I will. Hopefully I can find some the same length.

heapxj said:
I am getting a locker for it. If I can use 35 spline shafts from another rear end I will. Hopefully I can find some the same length.

Inner spline - 1.312"-16, 1.812" long
Overall Length - 33.625" from inner end to wheel mounting surface
Wheel mounting surface OD - 4.750"
Wheel lug cirle - 8 on 3-31/32"

You can probably get away with changing those last two to fit whatever you're goingt o use, if you decide to have custom shafts made. I could (if asked rather nicely...) probably look up to see if the carrier changed - or just the side gears - but that would take a bit more effort than just running down the BoM number for original application and suchlike...

I'll let you know. Thank You. I'm spying a set of 60's on eBay right now. Hopefully the price will be right and I'll get the set which will relieve alot of headaches.

Does this mean that all Dana 60's with a WMS of 63.5" would have the 17" spline shafts or is it possible to get the 30 or 35 spline shafts in a WMS 63.5" Dana 60?

Truth is, not that many rear D60 axles came with 35 spline shafts. Most were 30 spline. Older models were 16 spline. Axle width has very little to do with spline count. I have taken apart probably 10 D60 and none were 35 spline.

No need to ditch what you have. A 35 spline carrier will bolt in. You may need to bore your spindles. I would just get the shafts made. You will search forever for the right length in 35 spline.

For what it's worth, you can get a locker for the 16 spline D60 and just use what you have. Yes it won't be teh holy grail 35 spline. But depending on your use and tire size, it could hold up.

heapxj said:

Ford Dana 60 rear axles commonly came with 16, 19 and 30 spline shafts. The 16 spline are usually from 70-73 pickups. All three of these shafts have the same diameter, 1.31 inch. You could easily order up a set of alloy 30 spline shafts and a 30 spline locker and you would be set.
Yukon makes shafts that are 36" long with 6 inches of spline so you can trim them to fit your axle. You could also bore the spindles to 1.63" diameter and then run the 35 spline 1.5" shafts, which is what I did. Believe it or not, I bored mine myself with a hole saw.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397243

And as far as I know only the rare HD Ford D60 rear, and some Dodge models came with 35 spline shafts stock.

Back