• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me decide btwn 31s or 32s

CSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I will soon be installing a RE 3.5" lift with OME shocks and Goodyear MT/R's, but can't decide between 31x10.5 OR 32x11.5 tires.

I'm leaning towards 31s since I'll be running stock gears (for at least for a year or so), it's a daily driver, and I don't want to trim fenders.

However, I won't be doing any hardcore rtrails so I'm not too worried about rubbing and I like the larger tires!

Any thoughts? Help me decide.

1999 XJ
HP D30
Chrysler 8.25
NP231
Will be running a t-case drop until I can save for a SYE.
Will be running 15x8 Soft 8s w/4" BS

-Craig

I would stick with the 31's. Just becasue they are a little smaller for DDing, and would help a hair on gas mileage. 31's would probably fit a little better.

Ive wheeled on 31's for a good 5 months, and was surprised on where I could go. They are good for NW trails, IMO. Make things more challenging.

What tranny are you running?

Heres a pic of my xj, same body style as yours, same amount of lift, and with 32's. Im assuming its an automatic, mine is a manual, therefor I swapped in some axles from an auto jeep to make the gears lower for cheap (3.07 to 3.55). At first I was running 31s and loved the gearing with the 3.55's. When I swapped to 32s there was quite a difference in power. I was suprises how much difference one inch could make. With the 31s you will only have to trim a little plastic and bumpstop accordingly, but for 32's I had to relocate my front flares to keep them, and trim a lot to get full stuff. I have the exact rims you want, had them with the 31s and still have em with the 32's. I would say if you dont want to regear, go with 31's. heres a pic when I only had 3.5 inches and the 32's:
IMGP2783.jpg

-Jerry

I'm running 245-75-16's MTR's with roughly 4" lift in front, 4.5" out back, and I STILL rub. From what I understand, they're barely considered a 30" tire, so how could you NOT rub with 3.5" lift? Just wondering. Wish I had bigger tires, but keep finding excellent deals on rubber.

James

vwkaferman said:
I'm running 245-75-16's MTR's with roughly 4" lift in front, 4.5" out back, and I STILL rub. From what I understand, they're barely considered a 30" tire, so how could you NOT rub with 3.5" lift? Just wondering. Wish I had bigger tires, but keep finding excellent deals on rubber.

James

maybe offset or backspacing is your problem?? my wheels rub ATM and i KNOW its offset..

CanMan said:
What tranny are you running?

It's an auto.

Yea, I think I'll stick to the 31's. They are a little cheaper and will be less of a hassel. The more I think of it and read up on it the more pros I come up with for the 31s.

Thanks for the input!

steven89 said:
maybe offset or backspacing is your problem?? my wheels rub ATM and i KNOW its offset..

I don't think that's the problem, don't see how changing whee's/ backspacing would solve my rubbage.
pic039.jpg

I know what would though!
pic023Medium.jpg

Haven't taken it out yet to see how much the trimming helped. Hopefully enough for now! :)

James

sandmcrew2 said:
Heres a pic of my xj, same body style as yours, same amount of lift, and with 32's. Im assuming its an automatic, mine is a manual, therefor I swapped in some axles from an auto jeep to make the gears lower for cheap (3.07 to 3.55). At first I was running 31s and loved the gearing with the 3.55's. When I swapped to 32s there was quite a difference in power. I was suprises how much difference one inch could make. With the 31s you will only have to trim a little plastic and bumpstop accordingly, but for 32's I had to relocate my front flares to keep them, and trim a lot to get full stuff. I have the exact rims you want, had them with the 31s and still have em with the 32's. I would say if you dont want to regear, go with 31's. heres a pic when I only had 3.5 inches and the 32's:
IMGP2783.jpg

-Jerry
Looks good nice XJ are those rims the soft eights

On my '98, I'm running 32's on my 3.5" RE rear leaves along with BB rear shackles, and 4.5" front coils with 1.75" spacers; and I didn't have to trim or relocate anything....fenders or flairs. Total lift measure out at 5.5" in the front, 6" in the rear.

Grant it, I've got a ProtoFab prerunner front bumper, so there's no rubbage at the very front, and the back part of the front wheel well has at least 3/4" clearance in all directions, wheel lock to wheel lock.

The rear wheel well is also stock (no trimming), as are all my fender flairs. I run 32x11.50 BFG M/T's. Maybe 32" Goodyears as a little bigger diameter wise...

I've got an RE 3.5" kit on my '96 with .75" coil spacers to level it up. I'm running 32X11.50X15 BFG Radial T/A KO tires mounted on 15X8 Cragar Soft 8 wheels with 4" of backspacing. I have an auto trans and am still running 3.55 gears for now. I haven't taken it offroad, but so far on the street, I've had no rubbing and haven't trimmed a thing. Driving in 3rd gear, I'm running between 2000 and 2100 RPM's at 55.

If you like to wheel, go with the 32s. I dd my XJ with 3" lift and 32" MTs. They go more places than I did with my 31s.

def 31s, i have a 2" lift and im running 31s and i wish i had another 1.5"(the only time i really notice it is when i make hard truns but im also running no sway bar)
-Keep Jeepin

i have 4.5 on 33s stock gears. i originally had 31s, but i hated the small look so i did some minor trimming and went with 33s. the only gear changing i did was the speedo gear. went to a 31 spline i believe. im happy with the set up. cant wait to get gears though. im killin my motor, but its a good thing it doesnt get drivin alot. i did alot with the 31s but i like 33s better, thats your call man. good luck with what you do :viking:

Go bigger!! 31s would be the smart, economical choice. You know you want 32s or 33s!!

Like I said before I daily drive with my 32s. If I take back roads where I may have to slow down or stop at stop signs, 31s get the better gas mileage. For long highway driving on a 55mph highway (which means never really going over 60-65 to me) the 32s get better gas mileage. If you're keeping up with traffic at 70+ mph on a 65phn highway, then the 31s get better gas mileage.

Also, it seems to me like the tranny hits the shift points better when I have the 32s on.

And ofcourse, it wheels better with 32s!

Go bigger!!!!

31"s are the right choice if you don't want to deal with gearing/trimming issues. I've opted not to "budget" lift mine, still stockpiling parts to do it once and do it right. Right now I've got 30" x 9.5"s on the stock wheels with no lift, slight rubbing at full turn lock and wheel stuff. There was a definite loss of shift point/power/mileage between the 30"s and the stock 28"ish tires. I only put them on because I got a great deal on them used and the old ones were worn out.

I went with 32s with stock gears for a long time and have been happy. Once I regeared, gas mileage was much better. If you have inchitis or wheel a lot, get 32s. If you dont wheel moderate - hard trails, then do 31s. I'm already wanting/needing 33s. Why not 35s? Because its my DD too.

vwkaferman said:
I don't think that's the problem, don't see how changing whee's/ backspacing would solve my rubbage.
pic039.jpg

I know what would though!
pic023Medium.jpg

Haven't taken it out yet to see how much the trimming helped. Hopefully enough for now! :)

James

hah, yeah mine are diff.. ima go snap some pics so i can show yall :D

Back