• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions on options

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this is what we are dealing with. My 85 wagoneer is getting a 2.5 fuel injection swap. I have a TF904 three speed auto and currently an NP 229 select trac tranfer case.
These cases are coming to be harder to find around me so I am looking to go to something else. Reason I like this case so much is that it has a fixed yoke already and I have a few driveshafts for it also. But one major downfall, the front GKN CV driveshaft. I can get a custom yoke for it but pricey.
I plan on keeping the auto tranny so I am looking for something that will bolt up to it or find an adapter to get it to work with something.
I don't know the spline count on the tranny to tranfer case shaft so I don't know what would bolt up or not.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kim

I put a 207 from an 89 in my 85. IIRC it was a 21 spline input. I would rather have done a 231, but I had the 207. The only downside is it still has the slip yoke output for the GKN shaft on the front. I'm pretty sure a 21 spline 231 will bolt on? I'm just going to spend the hundred bucks for a new yoke and run it. If I ever get it running again.

Reading up on the 207 I would be better off with a 229 or a 228. One thing better they have over the 207 is the fixed yoke. I will have to look into the 231 swap. If I can get it to swap in that would be the route. Many of them around and a SYE is available.
Anybody out there do this swap or know anything about it?

Kim

viscous coupler for 229 t-case is impossible to find, and expensive. These are relatively easy to destroy as opposed to a chain driven model, so don't plan on really tearing it up. better to try to get a 231 t-case in there

hippymill said:
viscous coupler for 229 t-case is impossible to find, and expensive. These are relatively easy to destroy as opposed to a chain driven model, so don't plan on really tearing it up. better to try to get a 231 t-case in there

Interesting to know. I have gone through a couple of these cases. First one just wouldn't stay in 4wd anymore when engaged, second one got a hole the size of a quarter in the bottom and wheeled the whole weekend without knowing. Got it shifted into 2wd to drive home. Now I can get it into 4wd but cannot get it to shift into 4lo.
So here I am looking for something else to swap in.

Kim

I think I'd swap in a 231 Kim. Just my two pennies.

Hale

Well I guess it is time to find a 21 spline 231. Anybody know what cherokees offered this 231?

Kim

Kim have you pulled the TC and done a spline count???? It just might be 23 spline....both of my 904's are 23 spline....but they both came with 207's..and you will need to know the snout lenght of the TC..

85xjwoody said:
Well I guess it is time to find a 21 spline 231. Anybody know what cherokees offered this 231?

Kim
anything 87-90 with an AW4
Early 4.0's with the puegot had 21 spline cases as well.
Anything HO will have a 23 spline case.
If you find a good deal on one but it's 23 spline remember that you can get a new input gear for it.
I'm not sure if your 229 input gear would swap to a 231, might want to call novak and ask.

Thanks to both on the info. I will be taking the tranny and tranfer case down after Winterfest. I won't be able to afford a 231 until after then so it can wait a little. Thanks again.

Kim

Back