• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PCV/CCV hose question.

maalox

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for some PCV hoses for my '89 so I can complete my conversion to a steel valve cover and hopefully eliminate my oil leaking issue. I'm having a hard time finding hose that will work other than at the dealer. The piece I need is circled in red in the picture below, and I also need a straight piece of hose in the same diameter. 5/8" I.D. is too big, and 1/2" is too small. Any thoughts on where I can pick up the correct size hose? I'm really not interested in spending $45 on one f'n hose at the Jeep dealer.

renixpcv.JPG

Come on guys where is the inginuity? MAKE your own!! It is a Jeep, isnt it? Why pay for something when you can spend 10 min out in the garage and do it for nothing? Check out my vacuum lines on my RENIX. I changed all of them out from plastic to stainless in about an hour. If we stop using our minds and start spending money we might as well sell our Jeeps. Remember..... J.E.E.P Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
:doh:
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q124/mcnamaag/IMG_0046.jpg
IMG_0047.jpg

Well, I ended up biting the bullet, as the valve cover gasket and associated PCV seals were ouking oil so badly that I had to park the Jeep until I fixed it. I've pulled so much useful information from this site that I figured I'd give back a bit by doing a short writeup on the valve cover and PCV/CCV conversion and upgrade I did. My truck is an '89 Limited, the valve cover is from a '99, and the PCV parts are from various years and sources.

Here's what I started with:
01_originalsetup.JPG

The hose circled in red(which I mentioned in my original post) was beyond gone. I picked up this hose set from NAPA(Part Number 715-1366), as reccomended by other posts on this board:
03_napahose.JPG

For some reason, they decided to put a piece of rubber hose in the section of plastic hose that runs around the driver's side of the airbox. It's too short, and the plastic hose is glued into it. Needless to say, this connection came undone mid-assembly, so I'm going to replace it with a longer piece of rubber hose:
12_badconnection.JPG

There are some other parts you need for this upgrade. Two valve cover fittings(circled in red and blue), plus the rubber adapter(circled in green) that comes from the hose set I got from Jeep:
02_valvecoverfittings.JPG

The hose set is pictured here with the grommets for the fittings that go in the valve cover. The hose set isn't needed, just the rubber adapter:
04_grommetsandhose.JPG

The junkyard valve cover(make sure you get the oil filler cap!) and new gasket set. Make sure you get the rubber grommets and metal inserts that the bolts go through. You can use the old fittings if you don't want to buy new ones, but the ones in the valve cover I picked up were pretty well used:
06_steelvalvecover.JPG

Got the old cover off, and it looks like the PO wasn't so good about changing the oil. Looks like my XJ has some BG products in it's near future:
09_valvecoveroff.JPG

After cleaning up the new cover, and the gasket surface on the top of the head, I installed the new grommets and gasket, and installed the new steel valve cover:
11_installingsteelcover.JPG

After this, the only thing left was the modifications to the RENIX PCV/CCV system. Sourcing a length of bulk hose was a major PITA. The I.D. of the hose is 14mm, which is bigger than 1/2" and smaller than 5/8", both of which I had tried, and decided weren't appropriate for the application. A friend of mine at a local auto parts store managed to dig up some heater hose in the correct size, which worked out perfectly:
05_14mmhose.JPG

You'll have the cut the old plastic pipe to fit the new hose, because the new fitting is farther forward on the valve cover than the original:
15_cutrenixpipe.JPG

Here's the 14mm hose installed with the new fitting and the cut pipe:
16_14mmhoseinstalled.JPG

The only thing left to do is modify the smaller pipe(by cutting it) that goes to the back of the valve cover and attach it to the new fitting with the rubber adapter from the Jeep hose set:
13_cuttingpcvpipe.JPG

14_newpcvfittingoldpipe.JPG

And the finished product:
17_newsetup.JPG

Really not a tough job. Took me about an hour. The hardest part was getting the old cover out and getting the new cover in.

PARTS LIST:
Used Valve cover from a '99 4.0L $10.00 Junkyard
PCV hose set $18.72 NAPA 715-1366
Valve Cover Gasket Set $46.84 FLAPS
PCV Fitting grommets $4.45/ea (2 required) Jeep 2946079
PCV hose set, rear ('97-) $11.85 Jeep 53030726
PCV fitting, rear, grey $6.10 Jeep 53030495
PCV fitting, front, black $4.60 Jeep 53030497
14mm I.D. hose - $0.00, FLAPS

mcnamaag said:
Come on guys where is the inginuity? MAKE your own!! It is a Jeep, isnt it? Why pay for something when you can spend 10 min out in the garage and do it for nothing? Check out my vacuum lines on my RENIX. I changed all of them out from plastic to stainless in about an hour. If we stop using our minds and start spending money we might as well sell our Jeeps. Remember..... J.E.E.P Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
:doh:
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q124/mcnamaag/IMG_0046.jpg
IMG_0047.jpg

i've also replaced all of my vac lines with stainless hardline including my fpr and map. Increased my warm idle by almost 100rpm and my plastic lines were in very good condition. I think by eliminating the vac junction along with a more direct routing of the lines made for better efficiency.

Speaking of direct routing, I've eliminated the need for the hose in question by routing the pcv to the front side of the airbox tube and the hose for the charcoal canister to the rear. Makes sense considering the logistics of the hoses and eliminates the need for both those 180 degree bends. 1/2" hose worked fine.

Where do you get the tubing to change it over to stainless lines? I assume you bent them yourself with something similar to a brake line bender? And what kind of hose did you use to replace those heater lines? Thanks!

You would have to get some stainless line and DIY.

I know that I have to bend them myself I just don't know where you get stainless tubing from.

don't get "hung up" on stainless-- for the amount of vacuum and vapor it'll be seeing, anything will do.... copper, aluminumized tube, fuel line, brake line...

I used TYGON 2-cycle fuel line on some of the lines on my 90. Some will try to tell you it will collapse but it wont. If you use the cheap clear 2-cycle line it will collapse as it gets hot. The TYGON holds up well under heat.

0206121346.jpg

I used 3/16" brakeline on my 88 MJ to replace the vacuum lines. Works great and fits better.

Back