• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flooded the Jeep, now the airbag light is on.

Osprey413

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I managed to flood my Jeep the other day, and ever since the airbag light has been on. Does anyone know if the airbag module is waterproof, and just needs to be reset? Or is it probably fried and my airbags wont work if I get in an accident?

Not sure about older ones. but the 97 and newer have an accelerometer under the center console on the tranny hump. If you flooded the interior possible you affected this accelerometer.

^You might be able to take that module out and pull the cover off of it and let it dry, maybe use a hair dryer on it. Then put it back in and hopefully the light will go away.

According to your profile, you have a '97. There was a recall to relocate the airbag module from underneath the driver's seat, to underneath the center console; just for the reason you describe. This recall applies to '97s and '98s. On '99s and newer, they were relocated at the factory.

If you haven't had the recall processed, you "might" get away with having the dealer replace the air bag module, which is probably toast. They are not waterproof.

If the air bag module has already been relocated by the recall, then you may be SOL, and have to buy a replacement module.

Back