• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 factory gears??

XJ&CHZ4ME

NAXJA Forum User
I was at the salvage yard today and came across a 2 door XJ with a automatic tranny and a 4 cylinder in it. I climbed under it in hopes of factory 4.10's and when I pulled the tag it said it has 4.56's. I asked the guy that runs the yard, he told me it is the first one he had ever seen that way, but he was aware it was out there and had the front and rear axles inventoried b/c they were so rare. I was just curious to know if anyone else has ever ran across a set w/ 4.56's from the factory? I can get them both bought cheap...so I think I will get them just b/c they are priced right. The yard guy also told me that a 4 cyl with those gears should have ran alright, but one with 3.73 or less would not even keep up with a fat kid on a bike!! I thought it was funny when I heard it so I am passing it on!

Wow, that's news to me. What year is the XJ that the axles are in? Is the rear a D35, Chryco 8.25 or D44 & is the front end a disco axle or solid?

I wish that had happend to me i bought a 84 4cyl for $250 hoping to get axles with 4.10s for my 89 I6 but ended up with 3.73:gonnablow . Its still a inprovement though cant wait to get them cleaned up and serviced and under mine. :eeks1:

JEEPZZ said:
Wow, that's news to me. What year is the XJ that the axles are in? Is the rear a D35, Chryco 8.25 or D44 & is the front end a disco axle or solid?

Only in '87-'89 XJ/MJ's with a 2.5L/AW4 combo, very rare...here's the one I got out of my U-pull to go under my MJ (soon). Rears were all D35's.
Jeff

D303.jpg

D304.jpg

Back