• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange popping noise???

tgile512

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 99 xj with a rustys 4.5" kit and a tcase drop. i have just put it on and i have noticed that when i am going extremely slow (like 1 or 2 mph) and turn (pretty sharp but not excessive) i hear a strange popping or hitting sound coming from right under my feet. i have looked and i don't see anything out of place.maybe the uca?? i dunno but if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

check your steering box may be loose or cracked on the frame... buddy of mine had the same problem with his xj and turns out that the bushings on the uppercontrol amrs were toast...........

Check your trackbar as well. Mine sometimes pops when I turn because it's loose I believe.

You need to tighten the track bar. Is it the tre type or is it the heavy duty type? Have someone turn the wheel from side to side and watch the tre on the bracket. If it is moving replace the tre. If it is the bracket tighten the bolts to the frame. If you don't have the heavy duty bracket you should get one it is much better.

thanks for all your help guys, i looked at everything you suggested and the brackets are fine but the nut on the trac bar was loose. now i don't know how tight it should be but i could move it with just my fingers. i shook the trac bar (while the nut was still loose) and i was getting play and a small popping sound (not nearly as loud as what i described before) all the other points are solid just that one nut. so is that my problem, and if so how tight should it be, thanks guys

p.s i looked around some more and i saw some other people had this problem and they just went for the hd bracket. i think i am going to do this because i feel it will solve the problem completely, just need to save up the cash

Last edited:
Back