• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix no start

ttu.or

NAXJA Forum User
my jeep has an assortment of problems, but when everything is just right it works great. it is a 88 4.0 with 370k. it stopped working after i pulled and fixed a leak in the radiator. when you turn the motor over i get no fire. i have checked the fuel pressure and i have voltage to the ignition coil. i replaced the coil and the base so far as well as the rotor and cap all to no sucess. i have read that the cps might be the problem. how do you go about checking it since it is fairly hard to replace? any other ideas to get it to start?

My brothers 89 had a similar issue. He cleaned ALL the electrical contacts under the hood and it started right up.

Paul

It was easier on my 89 to get at the cps from the bottom of the jeep.Dirtier but easier.

I've had the same problem, and just disconnecting the sensor and plugging it back in, (At the connection at the firewall) solved my issues... Give it a whirl.

If he is getting fire than it's not cps. Trying to turn over with no fire, it could be cps. Are you sure you are getting spark? Pull off a spark plug wire and double check. Also, you have a renix rig like mine and when mine wouldn't start and I had no fire, I thought it was the cps, but it was as 5-90 puts it the "Renix killer" which is the ground strap at the back of the engine. Mine was shot, replaced it and never had another problem.

in my experience, and others around me, no ones coils ever go out. it's always something else. that is except for vw's. i had many bugs, squarebacks, buses and i've had a lot of bad coils, but that's been it.

nekocopter said:
I've had the same problem, and just disconnecting the sensor and plugging it back in, (At the connection at the firewall) solved my issues... Give it a whirl.

A bad CPS will do just that, unplug it and it works again, but it will do it again.
As it gets worse it happens more and more untill it don't restart at all.
Get a new CPS now, your doing to need it.

ttu.or said:
when you turn the motor over i get no fire. i have voltage to the ignition coil. i replaced the coil and the base so far as well as the rotor and cap all to no sucess. any other ideas to get it to start?
My 93 Turned out to be the Pick-up coil (Stator) inside the distributor. The unit the wires go to. Had to pull the dizzy, knock the pin out of the gear to get it off, $47 at NAPA.
Don't know if your's is the same as my 93.
Keep us posted when you find the real problem.

Back