• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering & start up Voltage problem

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I've been having some weird voltage and steering stuff going on lately. Sometimes when it's wet/cold out when I first start up, my voltage is way low (right above 9 or so). Then, after it idles maybe 30-40 seconds (with some slight revving), it will jump back up to normal voltage.

This seems to happen mostly when it's wet out. It also seems that now my steering is harder/tighter than before too (I noticed this after changing my plugs and wires last weekend). I don't know if the plug & wire change is related somehow to the steering or what the heck is going on.

I'm *thinking* that it may be the serpentine belt. It seems tight enough (the old 90 degree twist test), but it seems to be pretty well glazed.

Once it's running though the voltage seems fine. Takes a slight drop when the heater fan is running, but never dips below about 13 on the gauge. I've tested voltage at the battery and it seems to be right where is should be (real close to 14 IIRC).

This is a 96 4.0 231 btw, and also last summer when I'd turn on the AC it would squeal to beat hell. Anyone have any ideas? It almost stalled out while idling today.......had to jump in and rev it a little (and turn the wheels back & forth) to get the voltage to jump up to normal. Please Help :(

ps forgot.......it never does this on the first start of the morning, only after I've run it to work and then go out to start it to leave on my break.

jeepboy381 said:
It is your belt, get a new one and tighten it up to specs.

For sure? That would be great if that's all it was!

After searching about serpentine belts and the tightening procedure I'm not sure which method the 96 uses.....

Do you have to do all of the bolts on the PS pump, or do you only have to mess with the idler pulley under the PS pump?

I saw people mention that ~97 and up you only had to mess with the pulley but since 96 was the change over year?? Anyone know? Thanks for the reply :)

gba88 said:
For sure? That would be great if that's all it was!

After searching about serpentine belts and the tightening procedure I'm not sure which method the 96 uses.....

Do you have to do all of the bolts on the PS pump, or do you only have to mess with the idler pulley under the PS pump?

I saw people mention that ~97 and up you only had to mess with the pulley but since 96 was the change over year?? Anyone know? Thanks for the reply :)

96 should have the later style belt routing. I just got a 96 power steering pump for my 99. Look at it. If there's an idler pulley right under the pump, and the adjuster bolt head faces toward the engine, you have the later type. The older type has the head of the aduster lower down, facing toward the driver's side.

Matthew Currie said:
96 should have the later style belt routing. I just got a 96 power steering pump for my 99. Look at it. If there's an idler pulley right under the pump, and the adjuster bolt head faces toward the engine, you have the later type. The older type has the head of the aduster lower down, facing toward the driver's side.

I know there is a pulley right under the PS pump, and the adjuster bolt is in at an angle leaning to the left (head of bolt leans towards pass side) if you're standing in front of the jeep.

I saw the procedure somewhere for the 97+ and it said all you do is 1. loosen bolt on idler pulley, then 2. loosen adjustment bolt on the PS pump. Does that sound right? Sounds almost too easy.

I'm at work now, or I'd take and post a picture to have someone verify which setup it is. Thanks for the reply!

gba88 said:
I know there is a pulley right under the PS pump, and the adjuster bolt is in at an angle leaning to the left (head of bolt leans towards pass side) if you're standing in front of the jeep.

I saw the procedure somewhere for the 97+ and it said all you do is 1. loosen bolt on idler pulley, then 2. loosen adjustment bolt on the PS pump. Does that sound right? Sounds almost too easy.

I'm at work now, or I'd take and post a picture to have someone verify which setup it is. Thanks for the reply!

Yes, it really is that easy. A great improvement over the earlier setup.

Matthew Currie said:
Yes, it really is that easy. A great improvement over the earlier setup.

awesome :D Thanks again for the reply! I'll have to tackle this tonight or tomorrow when it "warms up" (suppose to get into 30's tomorrow).

Back