• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noob cooling issue

ZimFistOfDoom

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my story. my 89 wagoneer recently started overheating. first it blew the overflow tank, then it blew the upper radiator hose. after replacing those, along with the thermostat and the lower radiator hose, it still overheats. originally i thought i had another leak somewhere else, or the water pump was dead, or the radiator was clogged but i never have any puddles when i park. i did check the oil today and not only was it smelling funky, but the level was extremely high and it was a muddy opaque milky chocolate color. i am assuming that this means my coolant is going into my oil. it would explain the loss of coolant, gain of oil, overheating, and high oil pressure. any body have any other ideas of what it may be? and if my theory is correct, is there anything i can do? it is the 4.0 I6 enginge with an auto tranny and A/C. Help! i need this car to get to work!

The infamous blown head gasket, pull your head off and replace that head gasket but whilst your doing that take a look at all your components and find out what made it happen, could be a corroded water pump or a too high of a thermostat maybe just take a look all around

When the vehicle overheated it may have cracked the head or possibly the engine block, but in most cases it’s the head. You will have to take the top of the engine off to be sure. Looks like your in for a day or two of :repair: .

Hope this helps.

Back