• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Speaker Wiring

VinceYJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I went to put front speakers into the doors of my 99XJ because I thought I did not have any from factory. Turns out I do, but they dont work, and neither did the new ones. After a little investigating I determined that there was no ground. When I hooked up the wiring to the new speakers no sound. When I hooked up a test-light to ground and touched it to the green wire it would produce excellent sound. When I hooked up the speaker wire dirrectly to ground it would screech like a bitch.
I did alot of wiring tracing and couldn't figure out where the speaker wires ground to? Obviously it need to return to the sterio deck, but I can't find any broken wires. Anyone have any idea whats going on?
Thanks,
Vince

I'm curious what you find out. My drivers door speaker doesnt work, and the passenger side will shut off if you open the door. Obviously something loose but I just haven't messed with it.

Probably your problem is with broken wires inside the little rubber wiring boot that goes from the door to the tub.
Most likely I am going to just run some new wires to the speakers myself. Diagnosing wiring sucks and I hate it.

Very common problem on the 97-2001 for the speakers to work when they want and then quit completely. A splice in the wire harness lets go and no more worky. Just run some new wires from either the footwell area or the head unit to the speakers. CLICK on the link for wiring info.

XJ wiring info -all years

I know the feeling of not having them not work. i made mine doorless and I have electric windows and locks. There must be 20 wires to disconnect and reconnect if I take the door off. Needless to say I don't like taking the door off and when something like the speaker stops working I hate tracing it down.

Thanks guys. I think I will run new wires from the deck all the way to the speakers. What a bitch this is going to be.

You don't have to run them all the way, you can just tie in at the kick panel.

Tim_MN said:
Very common problem on the 97-2001 for the speakers to work when they want and then quit completely. A splice in the wire harness lets go and no more worky. Just run some new wires from either the footwell area or the head unit to the speakers. CLICK on the link for wiring info.

XJ wiring info -all years

This is definitely very common, I install for a living, and fix these all the time, probably at least 1 a week! (college town, lots of XJs passing through) It seems 00-01 are worse.
The problem is in the boot, it usually effects the drivers door first, then the passenger. This is simply due to the fact the drivers door is used more.

Fortunately XJs are about the easiest vehicles to run wires through the boot into the door.

Do you know the part # for the connector behind the kick panel? Is it simple to install new wires on the speaker end or do you need to spice the wires in?

TRAILREADYXJ said:
You don't have to run them all the way, you can just tie in at the kick panel.

This is definitely very common, I install for a living, and fix these all the time, probably at least 1 a week! (college town, lots of XJs passing through) It seems 00-01 are worse.
The problem is in the boot, it usually effects the drivers door first, then the passenger. This is simply due to the fact the drivers door is used more.

Fortunately XJs are about the easiest vehicles to run wires through the boot into the door.

With the factory speakers you would need to get the connectory. However with aftermarket speakers, like the Sony Xplode's I am putting in they just use simple spade-type connectors.

Usually when I fix it, the customer upgrades the speakers anyway. If not, I just cut off the factory speaker plug and splice it into the new wires.

In the kick panel, I just cut the wires from the plug and splice into them. I usually just splice into the door side of the plug, so it can still be disconnected if needed (I run doorless a lot, so I guess it's in my nature to be able to disconnect stuff:)).

Sorry, I don't know any part #s, I use crimp connectors or solder + heat shrink.

1bolt said:
And just how does that fix a wiring problem???
well after the amp install run the wires, then buy new speakers, but sub, buy box, instal sub amp, install and buy headunit.

problem solved. that's how i did it.

So the amp install in-and-of-itself does absolutely nothing to fix the problem. Thank you.

I'd recommend running new wires from the headunit on down. Reason being, the wires in your are 7 years old, and that's a fair amount of wear-and-tear on a pair of already-too-thin wires. Plus, proper gauge wiring never hurts - it might just help those new speakers sound a little better.

I had to run new wiring in my '92, and it was cake. Nice thing is, if I ever decide to upgrade with an amp and all that fun stuff, the wiring is already a nice fat gauge.

TheAlmightySam said:
So the amp install in-and-of-itself does absolutely nothing to fix the problem.
it'll sound better.
chances are there are few people running a stock headunit anyway. also with the amp install yuou will run new wires anyway, which really if all you want is the front door sound back is what needs to be done.:explosion

I just had the exact problem, the drivers side speaker went first and soon after the passanger side stopped working. Apparently the wires inside the boot were fraid and it shorted out the front channel on the deck. This apparently is a very common problem the fix was a new deck and new wires to the front speakers

yeah my drivers side speaker hasnt worked for the entire time i've owned the jeep... thought it was the speaker and still didnt fix it... i just havnt gotten around to fixing it. is kinda annoying though

Back