• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

neutral safety switch

lorax81

NAXJA Forum User
ever since i got my heep i have had trouble with it starting. eventually i figured out what the problem is. the tranny for some reason doesnt think it is in neutral (park) I have tried to adjust it (little tab on the passengers side) and it will work for a while (maybe 2 or 3 starts) then i have to do it again. i can some times get it to start by wiggling the gear selector. if anyone has had this problem and was able to permenetly fix it i would appriciate it tremdously. i am really getting sick of crawling under my heep in the middle of a parking lot while it is pouring down rain.

i have found that it always works while i am out wheelin on the trails. maybe my heep only wants to wheel

i had the same problem and endedup having to replace it b/c the switch was so bad. The way i got it to start before things were fixed was i just turn the key to the "on" position and then go under and jump the ground and power lines running to the starter using a screwdriver. Only had to do that a few times, mainly to get to a garage where i could work on it.

Yes, it's 99 1/2% sure its your NSS. Normally you can "rebuild" the switch without too much trouble.

Click this link:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

I did this on my 90 XJ and the process is almost identical on my son's 93 Camry so it seems the switches for that era are pretty much the same.

Hint: Make sure you spread out some cardboard or newspaper on a nice clean surface so you can find all the teeny weeny litle parts if you drop something.

I had to rebuild, then replace the one on my 99. I could see exactly where it stopped making contact, but the fix only lasted a little while..

Just as Paradise said.. be careful when taking it apart. There are a couple of bearings that sit in there in between the two halfs..

If you have the money, it might just be easier to replace it. But, if you are strapped for cash, then try rebuilding it first.. It's kind of simple.

Eh-lee-us

I just took the NSS apart, cleaned it, reinstalled it and adjusted it. now it always starts and i have BACKUP lights! WOOHOO! it took about 30 min total

Remove the upper bolt securing it to the tranny. I think its 13mm. Then lossen the large adjustment nut but do not remove it. Make the nut flush with the threaded shaft, then use a flat head screwdriver as a lever under the nut and the edge of the pan and pry it loose. Then remove the nut and slide it off.

Jess said:
it makes no diffrence. You have to try to pry it off...without breaking it.

I just bypass mine.

Just make sure to take your time and not pry on it very hard.

I broke the threaded tabs on mine (the ones that go around the post that the nut holds together) so I cobbled it together with some JB Weld.

Everything is working great, but who knows how long the JB will hold.
I should probably just buck up and buy a new one before I get stranded on the trails someday...

Last edited:
not a way to fix the problem, but try starting it in nuetral. mine acts up every once in a while but will always start in nuetral. just make sure to hold the brakes!

its most likley not accepted by most but i cut the pigtail off another tranny i had crossed the wires to fool the computer to think it was in N and plugged it in in place of the tranny harness now i can start in any gear before my jeep would stall in intersections becouse of an off idle hesitation and not be able start it up made me feel like an ass and fear i would be hit by other cars

After fighting with my NSS for over a year, I bought a new one made by Crown for less than $135.00 shipped. It works fine. The old one did not survive removal.

I had this same problem so I attemted to remove it and of course broke it so I cut the pig tail off the broken switch. Figured out wich two wires were for the neutral safety and jumped them together then hooked up a toogle switch for the back up lights. by just cuting the switch side pig tail i can latter install a new switch. My one concern was if bypassing the switch effects shifting or not, mine just doesn't shift right so I'm going to just buy a new switch when I have the cash.

Back