• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone on here run a 203/205 combo?

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
If so where can I find some instructions and parts for the 203? I have to tear it down to drill and tap it so I may as well put new bearings in it at the same time.

What are you putting the 203 behind? What are you drilling at tapping for?

I've got a 203/205 setup in my XJ. It is a tight fit, I had to cut a lot of the floor out.

jmop said:
What are you putting the 203 behind?
AW-4

jmop said:
What are you drilling at tapping for?

203 is an old style Dodge unit with the chevy pattern so I need to drill and tap the jeep pattern.

jmop said:
I've got a 203/205 setup in my XJ. It is a tight fit, I had to cut a lot of the floor out.
EWWW! Any pictures of the process?

sounds like a plan. will there be any support for the 203 into the AW4 other then the bolts holding it on? The bearing support on the input is usually a tight fit into the trans-transfercase adapter so the bolts dont support the full weight of the case.

Using a Dodge 203 range box you could rotate it counter clockwise, clocking it flat so that the shift lever is on the top, then rotate the 205 up to match. The aw4 isn't very tall so you will proabably want to keep the 203/205 from hanging down in the stock position.

Out of curiosity why do you want to do the 203/205 swap? I did it cuz I'm running 1 tons and I wanted 1 ton throughout the whole drivetrain. I would think it would be easier to do a 231 doubler or a flipped 300 and a 4:1 gear set.

Oh, I would suggest Jeds Machining or the adapters. Thats what I'm using and they do great work.

Here are a few pics. I had to cut most of the area under the DS seat to fit the 205.

1000876dh4.jpg

1000871ds7.jpg

Did I mention that the 205 was FREE! or that the 203 low range box was $40? Once they are in will have twin stick ability and the 4:1 low I want. You cannot do front digs with a 231 4:1 low kit and the 300 is hard to come by arround here. All the CJ guys want em. The most I will have in this is the doubler kit with a billitt shaft. That was some $$$ but well worth it from the looks of it. I was looking at it tonight and was thinking I may be able to get the 203 in there without cutting but now I'm not so sure. Another question I need to pull the low range gears on the 203 do you happen to know how to get that shaft out or where I can find the info on the net. I have googled 203 till the cows come home and have yet to find it. ty for the pictures. I must say I am a little worried about my 9" D44 behind this combo but hey I am only running 36 IROK's atm.

Dang, thats a good deal on the 203/205. I can see why you'd want to go that route.

The shaft for the gears in the range box? It's pressed in, you have to press it out. I think you press it twords the input. I fully rebuilt my 203 range box and the 205. Spent more on the rebuild kits they I did on the whole drivetrain.

jmop said:
Dang, thats a good deal on the 203/205. I can see why you'd want to go that route.

The shaft for the gears in the range box? It's pressed in, you have to press it out. I think you press it twords the input. I fully rebuilt my 203 range box and the 205. Spent more on the rebuild kits they I did on the whole drivetrain.
Yea it was a few yeas in the making but hey I will wait for a deal! I was thinking it was a press in deal. I have a friend that is a mechanic looking for his 203 factory rebuild manual. I want get back on this till next weekend but now at least I have a clue. I'll probably not rebuild the 205 simply bc it looks and feels tight. I was hoping jb would come out with there 3:1 low range gears for the ford 205 but they will not respond to my inquiries about it.

Yeah with the LoMax gearset and housing for the GM 205 I figure it is probably just a bit of time before the Ford version is out. It would be nice to have the 3:1 in the second case. More gear choices and a lower crawl ratio.

Back