• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can i fit 33's

xj_brad

NAXJA Forum User
hey every one,

I just fitted my '96 with an RE 3.5 super flex and an extra 1.5 shackle in the rear. i am running 31's now on after maket rims.. not sure the backspacing. i was wondering if i could move upto 32's or 33's, and how much cutting i woulod have to do. this machine flexs great now with no tire srcubbing.. let me know your thoughts

Thanks Brad

33's sure, heck 35's go for it, 36 IROK even better, shoot you can fit 39's if you really want. Just depends on how crazy you get with the saw!

yes, you can fit 33s easily.
I have 2" of lift & I ran 33x12.5s for over a year, I am running 32s now cause I found a good deal & needed tires.

Here's some pics of mine:
CRWrearbmprshackles.jpg

(32s on 2")

newtires.jpg

(33s on 2')

More pics here:
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/jfiscus/89 Jeep Cherokee/

Jason-RJR said:
trimming and bumpstops and you're golden.

there's a guy on pirate that fit 36's on about 4-4.5" of lift, just took some extreme trim action
you got the s/n or some pics of that XJ? im doin just about the same thing on my new project......id appreciate it....

wes

what backspacing should i run with 33's? and is there any pictures of other guys that cut and fitted TJ flares? any help with this would be appreciated

at least 4"

I'm running 33/12.50/15" on my 99 XJ with an RE 3.5" SF kit, RE upper and lower control arms, new bumpstops front and rear, RE .75" shackle in the rear and fenders trimmed pretty good. I am going to throw a .75" coil spacer in the front and run 35's, so I think with a little trimming you could easily run some 33's. Post some pics if you do! Good luck. Will

To give you an idea. I'm running RE's 4.5 Super Flex with 245 tires ( which I think comes out to 30.5")

I haven't trimmed nor added bump stops, and with stock back spacing.

IMG_0526.jpg

When I got out to look, I noticed that the tire was snug against the black plastic wheel well things. It was stuffed up there pretty good.. No Pun.. :D

Eh-lee-us

xj_brad said:
what backspacing should i run with 33's? and is there any pictures of other guys that cut and fitted TJ flares? any help with this would be appreciated

Backspacing has to do with width, not height. So assuming you want to run a 12.5, then at least 4". But if you ran something like a 10.5 you could do it on stock rims and a couple of washers.

Wow, looks just like mine!
IMG_8309aMedium.jpg

I am planning to move up to 33's. I figure only minor trimming will be needed (retaining stock fender flares too) and bumpstopping.

Last edited:
Back