• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wierd Wierd 4.0 Behavior....

93_xj

NAXJA Forum User
94 XJ 4.0 ...

Went to go start my jeep this morning, I live in Connecticut, and it was the first time it has been really really cold, it was under 30 degrees.

I put my key in the iginition and went to turn it , Click Click Click Click....
I had enough volts, barley, but i thought possibly my starter could be going...

I tried and jump it and start, didnt work. Then was gonna pop start it, but couldnt get enough of a push going to be able to do it.

So i came home from school, it was much warmer out so I figured id give it a try.

Put my key in, turned it , click click click... so i took my key out, and as i was stepping out of the door i hear the engine cranking over trying so start... The key wasnt even in the iginition and it just started up.

Confused, I put my key in and gave it some gas and drove around alittle with it, and after a 5 min drive, I shut it off, and tried to turn it back on and it fired up just fine.

Whats going on here? Is my starter dead?

Sounds like you have two probable problems. First and easiest, it sounds like your ignition switch is gummed up and does not like the cold. Squirt in some WD-40.

The click click is probably caused by a sticky Bendix in your starter. If it happens again, crawl under and rap the side of the starter with a hammer. If that makes it start, you have a decision, carry a hammer, or buy a new starter.:gag:

its safe to spray wd-40 in the ignition?

also, my friend told me to try crossing the wires on the starter using a wrench or something

WD40 in the switch is fine.

If you don't know what you are doing, shorting the wire is not a bright idea... or maybe it might become one (flash)

Back