• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED brake lights not right

redxj90

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I've searched and no one else has had this problem. First off my top light is Red and being used as a tail/brake light, and my bottom is a yellow being used as a turn signal. My problem is that when my taillights are on and I hit the brake the light does not get brighter, but when the tail lights are off the brake lights will work just fine. Is there something that I am missing.

Did you use a dual filament bulb? 1157 replacement instead of 1156. Try putting the old bulb back in and see if it still works when you step on the brakes. Work backwards to when you had all the lights working and it will show up.

Oh sorry i forgot to mention that they are completely different housings from rusty's using 4" lights. I had to cut and rewire the lights.

If you have the correct bulb 1157 installed then i would try another 1157 bulb . Also check to make sure the bulb socket is clean and you have a good ground. Good luck

First of all WHY can you people read the TITLE of this thread, he is asking about LED's

RedXJ90 - Which harness are you using for the S/T lights? that seams to be the most common issue with LED's not workiing, if it is a Hoppy Brand return it and get a decent one.

-I just read your update , from that info. it sounds like you may have something wired wrong. The wiring harness from the bulb should should have a red wire that would be for the turn signal, the black or brown would be the taillight,and the white will be your ground. Check to make sure the ground is good . good luck

to elaborate, a lot of times guys will use a LED replacement set up, not knowing a lot of times it is only rated as a marker light, not both a brake and marker light. I've done a few of these conversions on cars and trucks for people, and my very first one I had the same problem. It was because the maker of teh light only set it up to be a marker so when the lights are on, all of them are on. With a brake/marker combo, there is an extra set of LEDs which come on making it brighter when you step on the brakes. The other common problem is if you wire it backwards, all the lights are on all the time, but that depends on the kit.

With LED lights; they don't get brighter or dimmer, the amount of light is fixed with each LED. Buy, some LEDs are brighter than others.

What happens when you hit the brake is either MORE LEDs light up OR, more likely, more and BRIGHTER ones light along with the tail lights when the brake light circuit is closed.

Rev Den said:
Are there 2 circuits for the brake/tail light on the light itself?

Should be a ground wire, and 2 hots....1 for tail, 1 for brake.

Rev

Yes I have them on seperate circuits. I took the two hot wires (L blue and D blue) from the brake light and spliced them with the stop wire on the light. Then I have the hot wire (brown I think it was) from the tail and spliced that with the tail wire on the light. All grounds are good. It is almost like there should be a different voltage for tail and when you hit the brake it shoud boost voltage.

P1atinum said:
First of all WHY can you people read the TITLE of this thread, he is asking about LED's

FYI there are 1156/7 replacement bulbs made with LED's instead of standard vacuum and filament bulbs. That is what I was refering to.

PhotographerMike said:
What happens when you hit the brake is either MORE LEDs light up OR, more likely, more and BRIGHTER ones light along with the tail lights when the brake light circuit is closed.

Thats what I said.

PhotographerMike said:
With LED lights; they don't get brighter or dimmer, the amount of light is fixed with each LED. Buy, some LEDs are brighter than others.

Well when the tails are on it is the same amount of led's as the brake lights.

mackamitsu said:
FYI there are 1156/7 replacement bulbs made with LED's instead of standard vacuum and filament bulbs. That is what I was refering to.

Guess we need to find out what he is running, I took it as a 4inch round Trailer S/T LED.

Redxj90 - explain a little further what type of Stop/Tail light you are running. and how many wires come out of the back, that will give us a better indication as to what the issue may be.

I am thinking that you are trying to Splice stock wiring into a Trailer or two wire S/T light which wont work. Well at least not with out some additional Diods

P1atinum said:
Guess we need to find out what he is running, I took it as a 4inch round Trailer S/T LED.

Redxj90 - explain a little further what type of Stop/Tail light you are running. and how many wires come out of the back, that will give us a better indication as to what the issue may be.

I am thinking that you are trying to Splice stock wiring into a Trailer or two wire S/T light which wont work. Well at least not with out some additional Diods

Ok that is what I was looking for. I did splice the stock wiring into the back of the light. So I need some kind of trailer wiring kit of some sort. Can you help me out and let me know what I need and what i need to do? Thanks alot for your help p1atinum

Sounds like you need a trailer wire harness kit. They come in two basic types Stop/Tail/Turn (S/T/T) or what you should look for is Stop/Tail (S/T) The Turn signal can hook directly to the stock wire, but you probable noticed this working.

The best place I found was most U-hual store. the carry the Drawtite brand which I have had success with. STAY AWAY FROM THE HOPPY BRAND I don't know anyone that has gotten them to work.

The kit will have a Small box that you can splice in the Factory stop and taillight wires, with an single wire output for both Pass and Driver side tail lights. I tapped into this behind the Drivers side rear interior pannel, behind where the spare tire normal mounts. You will need to run a wire from the Kit under the carpet in the rear to the Passenger side to get that light. Seperate circuits

it's not to bad once you get a good harness.

redxj90 said:
Yes I have them on seperate circuits. I took the two hot wires (L blue and D blue) from the brake light and spliced them with the stop wire on the light. Then I have the hot wire (brown I think it was) from the tail and spliced that with the tail wire on the light. All grounds are good. It is almost like there should be a different voltage for tail and when you hit the brake it shoud boost voltage.

Guys...he has a seperate turn light....don't think he needs a trailer box.

Umm.....did you check both of those wires to see if they are only hot when the brakes are on?

My guess....ONE of the two wires that you say are brake lights is a brake light wire, the other it the tail light that lights the tail light element in the brake lamp.

get out your meter and check what wires are hot for brake, and tail.

Sounds to me like you tied brake and tail together. Draw a diagram and post that and we may be able to give you a better idea. Model number and make of light, and pics will also help

Rev

Rev Den said:
Guys...he has a seperate turn light....don't think he needs a trailer box.

Umm.....did you check both of those wires to see if they are only hot when the brakes are on?

My guess....ONE of the two wires that you say are brake lights is a brake light wire, the other it the tail light that lights the tail light element in the brake lamp.

get out your meter and check what wires are hot for brake, and tail.

Sounds to me like you tied brake and tail together. Draw a diagram and post that and we may be able to give you a better idea. Model number and make of light, and pics will also help

Rev

Or he ran them in reverse, if put power through the ground, and run the circuit in reverse, it won't matter if he steps on the brake, because only one circuit will work. Also if he has the marker light on the brake wire it won't work. The brake LEDs are brighter then the marker LED's and if the brighter LEDS are always powered, well you get the picture.

Back