• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana thirty differences

hippymill

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone have pics of the driveshaft side of a d30 low pinion and a d30 high pinion? Are the gear sets and install kits the same for both?

Gears are not, install kit is.

old_man said:
Gears are not, install kit is.

Correct on the gear part, they are different. The install kits are different as well. The TJ gear, low pinion, uses a crush sleeve and the reverse gear, high pinion, does not. I think the pinion bearings are different as well. What do you need the pics for? To determine whether you have a high or low pinion?

Last edited:
Here is a HP, with the carrier removed. The LP, will be under the centerline of the axle tubes, if that helps any.

100_2827.jpg

thanks guys. I am assuming from this info, and other research that my '95 has a high pinion axle, and that the gears from a low pinion (2000-2001) will not work in my axle.

hippymill said:
thanks guys. I am assuming from this info, and other research that my '95 has a high pinion axle, and that the gears from a low pinion (2000-2001) will not work in my axle.

You are correct.
You have the HP reverse (stronger, better) and the 00-01 has the LP standard cut (weaker, inferior), the gears for the HP being reverse, are cut with the opposite twist than the LP.

Back