• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker Help....Please!!!!!

Radon

NAXJA Forum User
I did an install of a lockrite which was fairly easy and followed all instructions. Ran their install test everything checked out fine. Put it down on the road and try to run and one side keeps slipping intermittently. It will slip then catch and pull. It does it either going straight or when turning left.

So i took everything apart and reassambled according to the directions. put everything back on again and the same damn thing. There test and measurements match what i did and worked but when i run on the road it is slipping.

made sure tire pressure was good. one tire had like 10 psi (the one slipping) filled it up and still made no difference

Took everything apart and looked for an imperfection on the locker I could not find one. I tried putting it back together with an extra shim on the side that was slipping get everything back together and I am still having the same problem.

I know I put everything together right. I checked out write ups and everything I did mirrored those and I followed the instruction manual Verbatim.

Anybody got any Ideas

Its a rear locker.

It slips even on the road when i am giving it gas doing about 40mph. Thats the problem

it makes a horrible grinding sound I know its supposed to on turns but i didnt think so on the road in straight line.

Is it a used Lock-Rite? I had one in my rear diff years ago, and it used to slip occasionally. One thing to consider, if your rear housing is bent, it will put load on that locker that it's not designed for, causing it to unlock in a straight line and generally not work. You may have had a bent housing for awhile now and not noticed because it was an open diff.

fubar XJ said:
Is it a used Lock-Rite? I had one in my rear diff years ago, and it used to slip occasionally. One thing to consider, if your rear housing is bent, it will put load on that locker that it's not designed for, causing it to unlock in a straight line and generally not work. You may have had a bent housing for awhile now and not noticed because it was an open diff.

It is not a used lockrite. It is brand new. This is for a 06 TJ not a XJ but it is a d35 and the jeep is only about 2 months old.

Had something similar happen to me. Take it back apart and check to ensure that the teeth are meshing tightly. If not the the inner rings teeth make not be lined up right. This is covered somewhat cryptically in their manual. The manual says to put in in a vise to fix it and that's about it. To line the teeth back up carefully put it in a vise and tap the inner rings teeth with a brass punch or screw driver and line then up with the outer rings teeth. When the teeth are aligned and meshing tight reassemble it in the pumkin and use the check block to test the fit. If this all checks out you should be golden.

When I got mine from summit the box was damaged and a piece was bent. PowerTrak has excellent support and replaced it very quickly so I could make my Rubicon run in time. Carefully check and inspecty all the pieces too. If any of them don't fit tightly don't hesitate to give them a call.

Good luck getting er done!:cool:

Thanks for your help. Problem has been resolved!!!!!!!!!!!

I took all shims out. With the shims in it wasnt allowing the driver side to release all the way. Causing the loud noises.

Now it releases and works properly. and when i give it gas it locks.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Oh ya! Them friggin shims aren't in the the powertrax diagram. Glad you figured it out. I scratched my head on that one too. Time to go wheelin and/or drink beer at the campfire. :clap: Lockers rock!:gee:

Back