• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 w/ 4.5" and no SYE questions

caz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.. I just recently got my Rusty's 4.5" full pack kit installed on my 01. I am obviously planning on doing a SYE, but have a question in the meantime. I do not have a tcase drop or shims installed. There are VERY minimal vibes whenever I let off of the throttle and occasionally when I get back on it. It won't be wheeled anytime soon and is currently being daily driven. In the meantime, am I hurting anything or causing any potential damage by running it like this? I'm not worried about my driveshaft falling out as it's not being flexed or wheeled. Like I said, it is very minimal and it is slightly audible. I am planning on doing my SYE and throwing on a couple more inches in spacers/shackles within the next few weeks to a month. Let me know what you think! Thanks...

Yeah, it's really not bad at ALL... I was kind of shocked from what I had researched.
I guess I was/am just concerned as to causing any potential damage to my transfer case... even though it is very minimal.

As long as you dont hear a grinding noise when you let off you should be fine. My buddy had a grinding noise and let it go for about a year like that, till one day the tailshaft broke off the main part of the tcase.

I drove my 2000 at 4" lift with no SYE or T-case drop for over a year. Small vibes at 40 MPH and then again at 70+ MPH. The only thing that happened to me was t-case seal leak.

Now I am at 6" and I do have a SYE....

Also, remove your front driveshaft and drive it to see if the vibes are the same, better, or worse. My was worse with the front DS in.

I have a t-case drop kit you can have, just PM me your addy and I will ship it out to you if you want it.

The more I read and search, the more confused I get. It truly seems that there are almost as many answers (to some questions) as there are members. I have wrenched moderately since the very late 60s on muscle cars, Veedubs, yada yada yada, and most recently S-10s but, you guys are killing me.

There is always a "gray" area in any thought process on rigs but, I have never seen anything that compares to the Jeep forums.

I wheeled with a group here in KY (I was in my S-10) and the majority were Jeeps. I was so impressed with a kid's '92 XJ that I located a '94 for dirt cheap, bone stock and mint (a '94 Country). Long story made somewhat shorter, I wanted to pick his brains on what mods to perform on my '94 that would give me a set up like his '92. I found out it was for sale and dumped a sweet '94 and bought his. I do not have his yet (waiting on titles) but, he swears that he has no vibrations and no SYE, tc drop or shims. He has a 3.5" RE kit with spring packs. I know that he covered 60 miles to get to the ride that we met at. He claims no vibration issues at any speed.

Should I call BS or just keep searching the forum?

Thanks,

Reed

F9K9 said:
The more I read and search, the more confused I get. It truly seems that there are almost as many answers (to some questions) as there are members. I have wrenched moderately since the very late 60s on muscle cars, Veedubs, yada yada yada, and most recently S-10s but, you guys are killing me.

There is always a "gray" area in any thought process on rigs but, I have never seen anything that compares to the Jeep forums.

I wheeled with a group here in KY (I was in my S-10) and the majority were Jeeps. I was so impressed with a kid's '92 XJ that I located a '94 for dirt cheap, bone stock and mint (a '94 Country). Long story made somewhat shorter, I wanted to pick his brains on what mods to perform on my '94 that would give me a set up like his '92. I found out it was for sale and dumped a sweet '94 and bought his. I do not have his yet (waiting on titles) but, he swears that he has no vibrations and no SYE, tc drop or shims. He has a 3.5" RE kit with spring packs. I know that he covered 60 miles to get to the ride that we met at. He claims no vibration issues at any speed.

Should I call BS or just keep searching the forum?

Thanks,

Reed

It's sad, but true... every single Jeep (especially the XJ) is different. As far as there being no vibrations on a 94 w/ no SYE, it is more than likely true. I would still drive anything before I buy it to be sure. But the SYE dilema boggles most of us XJ'rs. For instance, my 2000 at 4" no SYE, minor vibes. A friend with an 01 and 3" lift had bad vibes...

Anyway, all driveline vibe problems can be resolved somehow... either t-case drop, SYE, shims, or other means. If you where to poll the NAXJA nation, you would get thousands of different answers as to who has/had vibes, year of XJ, and how they fixed it.

rpraterxj said:
It's sad, but true... every single Jeep (especially the XJ) is different........all driveline vibe problems can be resolved somehow... either t-case drop, SYE, shims, or other means. If you where to poll the NAXJA nation, you would get thousands of different answers as to who has/had vibes, year of XJ, and how they fixed it.
That helped me a bunch! Thanks! I have gotten some pretty cut and dried answers to this minor quest and yet, when I research, I find different answers. I appreciate your time and if, I posted in the wrong thread, I am still learning and I apologize.

Reed

F9K9 said:
That helped me a bunch! Thanks! I have gotten some pretty cut and dried answers to this minor quest and yet, when I research, I find different answers. I appreciate your time and if, I posted in the wrong thread, I am still learning and I apologize.

Reed

Hey Reed, No problem. One thing about the XJ group though, don't take things personal when someone posts something negative or contrary to others. Some folks get easily offended by someone's opinion, comment, or knowledge....

Sorry to hi-jack the thread....

Now back to the original message.....

:spin1:

Back