• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Radiator Hose Replacment

rescuejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my lower radiator hose on my '95 XJ, and upon looking it over, it seems like it's going to be a big PIA. Any advice on what I need to do? It seems like the connection at the water pump is going to be the most difficult since there is little room to work.

Thanks

It's not that bad. Get in there with a pair of channel locks and grab hold of the clamp and get it moved up into the middle of the hose. Then you can just cut the hose with a knife. IIRC, the last time I had to do that one I removed it from the pump instead of the rad but it all depends on how those clamps are orientated. When you install them...make sure they are in a better position (tabs out) so it's easier to do next time.

If you have them, a pair of large needle nose pliars work well. (to get to the tabs if they are in bad position.)

Pull the electric fan for working area, it's also a good time to consider new OEM thermostat, pressure cap, new serp belt and even a new set of idler pulleys if they have not been done in a few years.
It might also be a consideration to drain the system, refill with water and 7 hour flush and clean it out before replaceing hoses and such. Oh, UNPLUG the electric fan, don't just try to move it out of the way, then set it out to the side somewhere.
Remove the overflow tank and clean it out, sock on a stick works pretty well as does a bottle brush with fantastic or 409. Use prestone and distilled water to refill. Then burp the system to get the air out. The OEM tstat has a hole drilled in the flange, that hole goes in the 12 O'clock position and is for air removal. It also comes with a gasket that has RTV already on it but I still put a coat of Indian head gasket cememt on both sides.

Remove the air box.

When you replace the hose, note the spot where it chafes against the power steering lines. There's really no good way to avoid this, so on all my Jeeps I've added a sleeve of aluminum or stiff plastic, held on by zip ties, to protect the hose.

the lower hose seems more daunting than it realy is. same with the T Stat. removing the electric fan does give more room, but isnt nessisary. on my 95 i just eneded up forcing the hose to go in through the tight spaces. once it was in, it sat perfectly with no cinks or tight bends.

i agree that a flush is highly recomended at that time. i would flush with vinigar though (personal preferance). and then refill with proper antifreeze/h2o solution.

If you get factory replacment hoses the upper one comes with that plastic sleeve, use the old sleeve on the lower hose. The factory lower hose will come with that nylon stocking. I prefer the OEM hoses as the lower OEM hose has the spring alredy in it..

If you decide to do your heater hoses at the same time be careful around the heater core connection. Move the clamps down the hose a ways and then take an Xacto or razor knife and slice the hose lengthwise then peel it off like a banna skin, don't try to twist it off, you might break or crack the bung going into the core and THEN you really got problems... Lets face it, if you are having to do one it's worth it to do all of them.

Removing the airfilter box makes it easy to reach. I recommend replacing all hoses. I changed the upper one cause of a leak. Then a week later bottom one leaked and finally Friday on the way home overheated cause of heater hoses.

riverfever said:
It's not that bad. Get in there with a pair of channel locks and grab hold of the clamp and get it moved up into the middle of the hose. Then you can just cut the hose with a knife. IIRC,

I think the 1995 has plastic tanks on the radiator, so the suggestion of using a knife is a good one. You want to put a couple of cuts along the length of the hose at the radiator end and peel it back off the radiator connector. It will be somewhat glued on there and this will avoid having to twist or use a lot of force. You really don't want to break off the plastic piece.

I have replaced many a rad. hose in my life and I think the lower hose ranked right up there with real PITA ones. Take Rich and Matthews advice, removing the air box and elec. fan are way easier than the hose, remove them to make it go a 'lil easier.

I'm going to tackle this tommorrow hopefully? The radiator connection does not appear to be too bad, I'm more concerned with the connection at the pump since it has a screw clamp, and it's going to be difficult trying to get a screwdriver into position.

Thanks for the input.

It should be a hose clamp with a phillips/hex head so you can get a socket on there and if you have an extension and elbow it is no trouble. I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago, piece of cake. Part was ~$15 at Kragen.

I always rub a dab of dielectric grease on the inside of the new hose. This allows it to slide on the waterpump and radiator easier.

> It should be a hose clamp with a phillips/hex head so you can get a socket on there

Yes to hex heads.....Just did mine and a 3/8 inch socket saved the day!

Back