• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seafoam is supposed to fix things...

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
I used seafoam yesterday. Poured it into my throttle body very slowly so it wouldnt stall, then at about a little over half bottle, i dumped in a little bit to try to stall it and it didnt so i just turned it off by the key (not sure if thats bad or not). Waited the 15 minutes and then started it up. White smoke wasnt all over the place, nothing like you see in the videos online and all that. So i let it idle maybe 10 minutes or so then went on my merry way. However when i went to get gas (maybe 5 minutes later), i heard it making some weird popping sounds (very subtle but i could tell there were there). So i was driving today and then i got a DTC, brought it to auto zone and it said Cylinder 6 misfire, i checked the spark plug, looked fine and it came back on. :dunno: So i bought a new spark plug, put it in and the light never came back on. Im seriously on a roll with screwing things up lately. Anyone know why that happened?

I've run seafoam about 3-4 times in the last few months and I've always gotten huge clouds of smoke.

Anyway I think seamfoam ruined my upstream 02 sensor. I won't use it again. I'll only use the mopar combustion chamber cleaner because its a genuine mopar part.

My Jeep started a lot of stumbling/stalling and it hasn't acted up with a new 02 sensor. (that I installed yesterday, knock on wood)

You can read all about it in my thread "what could possibly be wrong".

Just read through it all, i havent had a problem after i got this new spark plug in, but then again only time will tell. I hope this seafoam stuff didnt mess up the O2 sensor even though it said O2 sensor safe. What kind of O2 sensor did you get and for how much? Maybe i could give that a shot one of these days seeing as its something i havent done the span of the vehicle (101k miles).

I installed a bosch universal sensor from autozone for about 65 with tax.

You have to hard wire it but I don't care.

It's better than paying 10-20 bucks more for an oem type connector.

j99xj said:
I installed a bosch universal sensor from autozone for about 65 with tax.

You have to hard wire it but I don't care.

It's better than paying 10-20 bucks more for an oem type connector.
Why didn't you just cut the harness connector off the old sensor and wire it on the new sensor?

Read the instruction, pretty sure it says to replace the plugs after using seafoam. Seafoam don't hurt anything but all the crap it cleans out can.

89Daytona said:
Why didn't you just cut the harness connector off the old sensor and wire it on the new sensor?

Thats what I did.

So I pretty much have two connectors, the stock one up by the engine and the universal one that I wired down further by the sensor.

You either had a bad spark plug to begin with or something like a partially plug fuel injector unpluged itself at the same time you changed the spark plug making it seem like changing the plug fixed the problem.

90xj06 said:
or the seafoam through the mixture setting off causing it to think there was a miss fire

Good point.

But why did i hear it pop every couple seconds? I had the code cleared and it came back as same problem. The spark plug didnt look fouled so idk.

You are at the point where we blame it on Gremlins.:laugh3:

Hopefully they are gone for good. But don't forget to do a regular Exorcism to keep them away.;)

Check your upstream 02 sensor. Mine did all the poping/backfiring after the bog downs and hesitations. I know it sucks not knowing for sure what went wrong but its a good place to check. And the universals are a relatively cheap part.

Seafoam lets loose a lot of crap into the exhaust system and the only critical parts of the exhaust system are the 02 sensors.

Even if you still get your problem with a new 02 sensor you can use the old one for an air/fuel meter or something.

Ecomike said:
You are at the point where we blame it on Gremlins.:laugh3:

Hopefully they are gone for good. But don't forget to do a regular Exorcism to keep them away.;)
Yeah well ive had the NSS gremlin, the Seafoam gremlin, and the "napa guy doesnt want to press the ujoint till tomorrow" gremlin this week. :looney: I havent had a problem since i changed the spark plug, so idk. Perhaps it was a freak accident. And j99xj, ill pass on the O2 sensor for now, but i would love to wire up an Air/Fuel Ratio gauge, bet i can learn a lot from it.

Back