• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Temperature Gauge Installation

seanyb505

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 4.0 that i just installed an electric fan on. I wired the new electric fan into the wiring for the other fan, and it has seemed to work well so far. Installation was a pita, but i want to know whats going on should something go wrong with the fan and it not turn on. So i picked up a temperature gauge and now im trying to install it. It says to mount the coolant temperature sensor in the stock location, but the only spot i can find is on the thermostat housing, even though the manual says what i need is on the rear left corner of the head. I have no idea where it is. Can anyone tell me where exactly im supposed to be looking, or if i can mount the sensor for the gauge in the thermostat housing. Id like to get this done before dark..HELP!!!!

My manual has a picture of where its supposed to be, i found that spot, i dont see anything there. I wiped the dirt from the spot where its supposed to be and it almost looks like it was filled in from the factory.

maybe im missing something here but the rear location should have a sender for the temp guage or ideot light already I wouldnt mess with those but I would get a extra thermostat housing and tap a secondary location in it for the new guage.......as a mater of fact I did just that and it works well

dzraces said:
maybe im missing something here but the rear location should have a sender for the temp guage or ideot light already I wouldnt mess with those but I would get a extra thermostat housing and tap a secondary location in it for the new guage.......as a mater of fact I did just that and it works well
I do have an in-dash temperature light, but it is only a light with on or off operation. Off everything is fine, on you better go fix something. Id like to know the actual temperature. Are you saying drill into the thermostat housing for another sensor location?

seanyb505 said:
I do have an in-dash temperature light, but it is only a light with on or off operation. Off everything is fine, on you better go fix something. Id like to know the actual temperature. Are you saying drill into the thermostat housing for another sensor location?
Yup thats what i said drill and tap use some pipe tape to make sure it doesnt leak. I did it on my 90 before i did the cluster swap

Im not that ballsy as far as drilling into metal thats kinda important. Is there anyway i could splice into the sensor as it sits in the housing now and get an accurate reading at the gauge?

Make sure you dont remove your exsisting temperature semding unit on your 97. The 96 i believe was the last year for the two sender setup. One being for the gauge and the gauge only and it is operated by a single wire sensor located on the right side of the head right by the firewall. The other is tied in with the ecu and effects the running of the vehicle, ie closed loop or open loop type of operation. Make sure you do not remove this sender which is located in the t stat housing. I made the mistake of cutting those wires and for a couple min tried to run it and it ran very funny before realizing what i did. this sender can not be removed for replacement of a new gauge, you will have to find another way. At least this is what i have experienced.

I have mine in the heater hose (Autometer mechanical temp probe) right before the heater control valve. Just got a brass "T", cut the hose, re-connected the hose to the "bottom" and "right" of the "T" and the temp gauge to the "left" of the "T", does this make sense?

Back