• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear end clunking while braking

98XJDMB

NAXJA Forum User
Title says it all. when i brake i get a clunk clunk clunk coming from the rear. any ideas as to what is making this noise or other things i can check and possibly eliminate?

Of course the first thing to do is pull the drums and check the brakes,if the noise is only on braking,I would say you will see the problem right off,check for leaking brake fluid on the shoes and for broken parts,also,look at the shoes and make sure they are not on backwards.:D

When you check the shoes for direction, remember the longer shoe goes to the rear. You also might want to check the drum for out of round, as that can cause the sound you describe as the shoes are rubbing against the drum, then hit the warped spot on the drum, jump out, re-compress as the drum turns and the warped spot moves away, then do it again.

Sometimes I get a strange clunk from the rear that goes away when I tighten down my u-bolts. It's worth checking while you are down there.

thanks guys, i'll have to look into all of those.

and langer1, no not military... heck i'm not even in NC anymore lol. i went to school there

That sounds sorta like a problem I'm having on my 92 XJ. I get a strange noise when I apply the brakes at anything over like 15MPH. Its alot like metal creaking or grinding. I checked out the shoes in the rear and they are fine, as well as the pads up front, those are fine too. We thought it might have something to do with the abs, so we disabled it and the noise is still there. Does anybody have a clue as to what this is?

Back