• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guage Unplug?

maine96xj

NAXJA Forum User
Can i unplug and remove my guages completly for cleaning, then plug them back in and have it go back to the way it is. for instance if the fuel gauge is on 3/4 of a tank then i clean it and move the needle to empty when i plug it back in will it go back to 3/4?? i have a 96 sport Aw4, it has the roatary odometer and trip meter... not digital gauges

did you completly remove the gauges?? do you have a pre 96 with roatary odo and trip??

how hard are those white faces to put on...i was thinking about getting some

They where not hard to do. Removed the whole cluster and worked on it inside the house. Took my time to make sure it looked good. Yes mine is a 93 roatory odo.

All those gauges will return to their proper place unless you break them. The senders determine their position.

Note that the voltmeters on these (and probably other gauges as well) are calibrated by the placement of a little magnet in the case, which is held in by a dab of glue. With age the glue may become brittle. Be careful handling the gauges, and don't dislodge the magnets, or you'll have to recalibrate the gauges. If any gauge is not now accurate, though, this is the perfect time to make it accurate by moving the magnet and resticking it with something elastic like Shoe Goo. Of course you'll need trial and error for all but the voltmeter. For that you can do it on a bench with a variable power supply.

Back