• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best steering stabilizer

xj joey said:
looking for a good stabilizer. goin with 6 in lift and 33s and dont want the death wobble. any suggestions?
yeah, make sure your caster is tolerable and that all the front end bushings/joints are tight and you won't get death wobble.

Consensus seems to be that the factory stabilizer is the best. If there is a very slight problem a new stabilizer can cure DW, seen it many times.

i just went thru this prob with my first jeep that only had 31s. everything was tight and new just got a little wobble that didnt get out of control but made u think it was going to start shaking. for less then a hundo i would rather just be safe. anyone running a dual stabilizer?

I saw those dual stabilizers, if anyone is using them, please chime in and gimme some thought about them. They sounds like a waste of money, but im just curious.

Steering stabilizers do not cause nor do they cure death wobble. They just cover it up. Your problem is somewhere else, and will continue to worsen as you don't feel it because it is covered up, then the new stabilizer will wear out prematurely as it is working more to absorb a problem originating somewhere else, and then you still have the same problem that should have been fixed in the first place.

GottaBeJeep said:
Steering stabilizers do not cause nor do they cure death wobble. They just cover it up. Your problem is somewhere else, and will continue to worsen as you don't feel it because it is covered up, then the new stabilizer will wear out prematurely as it is working more to absorb a problem originating somewhere else, and then you still have the same problem that should have been fixed in the first place.

Sorry, bro. Have you noticed that not all vehicles come from the factory with stabilizers? The ones that come with them are those who's geometry could be prone to DW. There are too many variables, and many times simply having a good stabilizer will keep DW from occuring.

I don't see how DW can be covered up..........it either happens or it doesn't. If it doesn't happen, you don't have it. Of course, if DW occurs, the front end should be checked for loose or worn out parts. If nothing is noticed and the stabilizer is old, leaking, or weak, a new stabilizer could keep DW from happening.

Skyjacker is what i have. My buddy has one and he loves it. But im sure that most people would say OME would be the best...but whatever your budget allows for..Go for it.

I replaced the stocker with 130k miles for an OME and couldnt really tell a difference on road. The reason I got it was because I got tired of the wheel "kicking" from hitting a rock or hole or something when cruizin in the dirt, for that, it definetly made an improvement. this is on a 98 xj with 4 inches of lift and 32's.
-Jerry

i dont have a problem with my stabilizer. just wanted a better one. they do more then just hide wobble. they also keep u from breaking ur thumbs off on the steering wheel when u blast something with a wheel at high speed. if u have ever driven without one the steering wheel will ge yanked out of ur had if u hit something without a stabilizer on it.

Goatman said:
Sorry, bro. Have you noticed that not all vehicles come from the factory with stabilizers? The ones that come with them are those who's geometry could be prone to DW. There are too many variables, and many times simply having a good stabilizer will keep DW from occuring.

I don't see how DW can be covered up..........it either happens or it doesn't. If it doesn't happen, you don't have it. Of course, if DW occurs, the front end should be checked for loose or worn out parts. If nothing is noticed and the stabilizer is old, leaking, or weak, a new stabilizer could keep DW from happening.

I hate getting into death wobble threads, but somebody has to argue with you..

As was correctly stated above, steering stabilizers DO NOT fix death wobble. I have had issues with death wobble in the past, from minor shimmying to full on, i think my front axle is going to fall off-death wobble... 9 times out of 10 its your track bar bushing or mount. Also check your control arm bushing and ball joints. Whatever you do, do not go out and buy a new steering stabalizer thinking that could in any way fix your problems ;)

dsgray16 said:

As was correctly stated above, steering stabilizers DO NOT fix death wobble. I have had issues with death wobble in the past, from minor shimmying to full on, i think my front axle is going to fall off-death wobble... 9 times out of 10 its your track bar bushing or mount. Also check your control arm bushing and ball joints. Whatever you do, do not go out and buy a new steering stabalizer thinking that could in any way fix your problems ;)

If you have a headache, you take something for it. You have only relieved the symptoms and not the problem. A stabilizer will do the same. If your wobble is gone, it's gone. Who goes to the doctor for symptoms they can't feel?

Go to Autozone. They carry the rancho one.(generic) Ask to see the options. The bigger one is white and stiffer. Get that one. I think they're about $20-$25.

edit. Goatman doesn't have enough experience to know about death wobble?....:laugh:

Currently I'm running a 4" lift and 31x11.5's.

I have the OME steering stabiliser and it really helped out with kick from potholes and higher speed offroading. I HAD death wobble until I replaced the control arms and trac-bar, litteraly felt like the axle was shaking right&left from under me. Decent shock help here too. Before the lift went in the old worn out OEM shocks let the XJ rock left&right then after the lift when the OME's went in it fixed that.

Basically if you have death wobble there is play somewhere in your suspension or steering or not enough of it.

I had a serious case of death wobble w/my 6" lift. I tried everything from caster adjustments to double steering stabilizers. The 2nd stabilizer just got in the way of the suspension under heavy articulation. I finally installed a set of control arm drop brackets & in a word ....... WOW! It rides like a Cadillac now & flexes even more! I try to get it to wobble & it doesn't have a hint of it.
It's all in the geometry of your front end.
Mark

god damn.... just wanted to see what u guys was running as far as a stabilizer. i dont have any wobbles and im putting the full traction 6in lift on. not slinging spacers or parts off a 3/4 ton to get it up. thanks for the help guys. try not to start a war over it.:laugh3:

xj joey said:
god damn.... just wanted to see what u guys was running as far as a stabilizer. i dont have any wobbles and im putting the full traction 6in lift on. not slinging spacers or parts off a 3/4 ton to get it up. thanks for the help guys. try not to start a war over it.:laugh3:

I like the Rancho that I replaced my stock unit with....it's a larger diameter which means more fluid volume and it doesn't get as hot. The piston is larger, the piston rod is larger and it seems to be holding up well. Hope that helps.

xj joey said:
looking for a good stabilizer. goin with 6 in lift and 33s and dont want the death wobble. any suggestions?

i've NO steering stablizer at all
6" lift and 35s
otk-custom steering

**adjust you're toe setting from 0 (zero) to 1/4" toe-out

unless you're running highway miles like crazy then you'll never notice the minimal tire wear BUT the added benifit of the slight push on the tires will greatly minimize the possiblitly of any wobble

John90XJ said:
I like the Rancho that I replaced my stock unit with....it's a larger diameter which means more fluid volume and it doesn't get as hot. The piston is larger, the piston rod is larger and it seems to be holding up well. Hope that helps.

The Rancho RS5401 is the large size upgrade. HTH :)

dsgray16 said:

Sorry you decided to argue. As has been stated in this thread, there are a multitude of things that can cause DW. Anything at all loose in the front end, tie rod ends, track bar bushings, drag link ends, ball joints, control arm bushings, anything. It can also be caused by bad front shocks, or tires out of balance, or low tire pressure, or out of alignment, or, yes, even a weak stabilizer shock. I have seen numerous cases where changing the stabilizer eliminated the DW.......and not just for a couple of months, for years. (damn, I've been doing this too long.......hmmm, was general manager of a Jeep dealership 12 years ago when I bought my 1st XJ).

On my own XJ's I've had DW from a broken front shock, from bad ball joints, and on my daughters XJ from a bad stabilizer (inspection didn't show anything else, changed to another good factory stabilizer I had laying around and no DW for probably 3 years now).

Sorry to hi jack this thread with all this DW talk.

Back